Faulty Dizzy cause Main Relay to Click?

BULL3TPR00F

Registered Racer
5+ Year Member
So, when im driving my car will often hiccup like its missfiring, and the check engine light comes on, car wont rev past 4 grand, drains gas, lots of black smoke out the exhaust and you can smell the unburned fuel/carbon mix.

The thing is the car will sometimes do this multiple times, making the car jerk ferociously.

Everytime the CEL comes on, i hear the main relay click, sometimes several times.

Just wondering if that is normal (meaning the main relay is supposed to click anytime the CEL come's on). I was thinking that maybe the main relay was faulty, but i'm 90% sure my dizzy is f**ked (or at least the coil/igniter module is messed), i will be replacing it probably tomorrow but wanna make sure.

Any info would help, thanks.

(In summary if you didn't understand what i quite meant: anytime the CEL is triggerd (by any issue) is the main relay supposed to click? Is the CEL controlled by the relay i guess is what im trying to get at).

BULL3TPR00F

Registered Racer
5+ Year Member
LOL i hate when people tell me to do that, cuz if explained it to everyone so many times and everyone's stumped lol.

But thats what makes me issue harder to pinpoint, i CANT pull the code.

When I jump the check connector, the CEL just stays on (SRS light flashes steadily), but the CEL just stays on, no flashes at all.

Some have said that that means the ECU is messed, but others say that sometimes it wont throw a code even for this issue (but if its somethign dizzy related its supposed to throw CODE 15 i was told).

As for the ECU being the issue, everyone's told me that Honda ECUs rarely to NEVER go bad, they are very reliable (apparently out of every bunch of a type of ECU's honda produces, only 4-6 are fauly from factory (thats 4-6 individual, not percent). However, its a possibility it could have s**t itself over time, but again many people have told me its very unlikely).

RonJ

Banned
Try this. When the CEL turns on, pull over and leave the engine running while you jump the service connector.

Civic ECUs go bad more often than you think.

BULL3TPR00F

Registered Racer
5+ Year Member
I've done that too.

I've tried jumping it when the lights on with the car off, nothing, with the car running with the light on, still nothing.

the only way i can get a code is if i make the CEL come on myself (i.e remove a sensor) then it will throw a code, but the previous CEL is not stored in memory). I'll try it again tomorrow, reset my ECU, wait n see if the car trips out again (sometimes its fine for a few days n then comes back, but lately its been almost constant), and ill try pulling the code again, if it doesnt work, ill unplug my map and then jump it to see if it gives me 2 codes.

i doubt it tho

RonJ

Banned
I've tried jumping it when the lights on with the car off, nothing, with the car running with the light on, still nothing.
This suggests that the wire running between the service connector and ECU has a short or open, the wire running between the CEL and ECU has a short, or the ECU is bad.

BULL3TPR00F

Registered Racer
5+ Year Member
yeah well i put in a brand new distributor today and the car runs a lot better, but the damn problem is still there..

so now i guess i turn to the ecu, main relay, or possible fuel pump?... i really thot the dizzy was the issue based off the article i read on Tegger.

I'm going to open my relay and resolder all the connections right now
if not i guess the ecu is the culprit, im gonna try and borrow my friends for a bit and see what happens...

BULL3TPR00F

Registered Racer
5+ Year Member
k so i jsut resoldered all the connections on my main relay, still the same issue...

ill try and snag my boys ecu tomorrow... you think the fuel pump could be an issue at all?