Fender Painting Cost/Idea

Crapter

Hey guys i was just wondering how much a fender would cost to be painted. I purchased my car with damage to the fenders, the car is green and the 2 flawless fenders i am considering purchasing are $80. Would i be better off paying to get it matched or similar? or to primer it myself and wait until i repaint my entire car? or just look for a clean green one?

just curious and wanting to look into it, let me know what you think!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're going to get your entire car re-painted, just wait until you go to re-paint it then buy an OE replacement or non-matching used OEM one.

If you're not going to get your entire car re-painted, I'd buy a used OEM one already paint matched.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
getting a fender painted at a reputable shop would probably cost $500 at the least. they have to paint match the hood and the front door.

when someone backed into my driver side door, the entire repair/paint job costed $1400. door repair, new paint on door, paint match fender and quarter panel

Crapter

How about the cost of just getting it primed black? so it doesn't look as bad as i save up for the entire car to be repainted

i forgot to mention, i purchased 2 fenders off a part out, they are red and this is the reason i wish to at least get them primed in the mean time

Trekk

Registered VIP
Primer is not UV resistant. So if you paint the fenders with it in a few months it will get all chalky and start to rub/wash off.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just paint them yourself.. you'll save SO much money unlike those poor saps above that got raped at the body shop getting one fender painted for $500 or a door painted for $1400.. come on, that's ridiculous! My brother got his whole hood, front and rear bumpers painted for less than $1400.

Do it yourself, pocket the extra cash.. and treat yourself to a nice steak dinner for doing such a good job!

Besides, if you mess up just try again.. it's only 2 fenders.. and it's only paint.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just paint them yourself.. you'll save SO much money unlike those poor saps above that got raped at the body shop getting one fender painted for $500 or a door painted for $1400.. come on, that's ridiculous! My brother got his whole hood, front and rear bumpers painted for less than $1400.

Do it yourself, pocket the extra cash.. and treat yourself to a nice steak dinner for doing such a good job!

Besides, if you mess up just try again.. it's only 2 fenders.. and it's only paint.
this. except i didn't pay the $1400. the dumb girl who backed into my door, her insurance company covered it ;)

Oem>

i recently painted mine. Not the BEST materials but it got it done. Oreily/autozone Dupli color paint match. x2 color x2 clear. go over the fender with that, wait a day or two too dry then wetsand 1000,2000 then buff with Meguires Ultimate Compound

2nd_gen

TURD-BO
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
with the fender already off and brought to a shop, prices are just about 250-300.

This however...will not match old and faded paint. U will have to have it blended to the door and depending on shop, prices go from 500-600. Shops will charge to mask it off and remove moldings.

I work as an estimator at a shop and after I pull up a quote...their eyes balloon up at the prices.
A good amount of money goes to the removal and installation of parts.

Crapter

i recently painted mine. Not the BEST materials but it got it done. Oreily/autozone Dupli color paint match. x2 color x2 clear. go over the fender with that, wait a day or two too dry then wetsand 1000,2000 then buff with Meguires Ultimate Compound

Before i initially paint it should i sand it? or is cleaning it well good enough. Also did you do 2 coats of black primer then 2 clear coats?

2nd_gen

TURD-BO
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Before i initially paint it should i sand it? or is cleaning it well good enough. Also did you do 2 coats of black primer then 2 clear coats?
sand the fender and knock down the clear.
sanded down factory paint is better hen a lot of primers out there.

block it down
make sure the fender is straight
clean it off
wax and grease remover
tack cloth
paint
sand paint till dull
clear
sand clear
buff