ff4500's 92 EG hatch build

ff4500

5+ Year Member
So, as motivation to myself, I decided that it was time that I started a build thread.

I picked this car up in WI on a trade for my GY6 Ruckus that I built last year. I had always wanted an EG hatch, so things seemed to work out, other than this thing being so far away, and kind of a mess. I went up and grabbed it and towed it back home where it sat for a few months before I even had a chance to touch it at all.

Here's a few pics from after I brought it home:

Red badge of courage, messed up lip, cracked one piece headlights, etc

Typical Honda cancer, badly painted over

SiR emblem and an ebay special fart can

Well, at least there's a B18C1 in there, right?

"High Quality"

Exhaust piping installed upside down

Ebay special steering wheel/hub

Is there such a thing a too big of a tach?

A few months later, I decided to get it up on jack stands and take a look at what I was working with. It wasn't in too bad of shape, other than the typical things that need to be fixed and updated on a car that's 20 years old...

After cleaning it up a bit and getting the nasty tree air freshener smell out (new car, I think? disgusting) by leaving a pile of crumpled up newspapers in there for months, I pulled all the seats and carpet and cleaned and cleaned some more. This took the better part of the summer, since work had been busy and my wife was pregnant with our second kid. Oh, and my five year old is pretty active and we were in the process of moving too. Fun, eh?

Here's the pics after I pulled the interior out:

I did get rid of the monster tach and picked up a new cluster with a tach integrated from an EX, I think. Cleaned up some wiring, spliced in a new factory radio plug since the originals had been chopped (why do people do this?) and put an older Alpine head unit in, where the old and crappy radio was that barely worked. Once I had the car up on stands, I pulled the exhaust and header, installed a Greddy header that I had lying around, reinstalled a cat, since it was just a resonator on the old catback and threw a Yonaka catback on there as well. Had to venture over to the muffler shop to have the guy weld me a flex-pipe for the header to cat connection, but other than that, it was pretty smooth sailing.

Once I had the exhaust sounding a bit better, I took her out for a few test drives, mostly around my house since I had no interior and no A/C, and it was hot as balls outside. A bit loud in the cabin and VTEC was sounding quite nice. Then I started throwing an engine code for a knock sensor. GRR. We were right in the middle of moving and I needed to drive the car three hours to my new house in a few days, so I dug in to figure out what was up with it. Fortunately, it was a simple fix, since after reading some threads on the issue, I figured out that whoever did the swap initially never repinned the knock sensor wires. Seemed simple enough. I went to the junkyard and grabbed some extra ECU pins and then I ran wire from the engine harness to the ECU through a hole that I have yet to plug in the firewall. Once I did that and plugged everything up, she was good to go. Drove her around for a few more days and didn't throw anymore codes. Drove her up to my new house and parked her in the new garage. Other than adding some new (stock) headlights and corners, that's where I'm at now.

I picked up some GC coilovers a few weeks ago, but I'll need to get new shocks for them. The ebay coilovers that are on there now are in pretty rough shape and make the thing ride like a tank. I still need to reroute the wire that I did for the knock sensor and peg down a leak that I'm getting in the passenger floorboard from when it rains. It's probably related to the hole from the A/C that was never plugged (I have a stock plug), but it could be under the cowl as well. I'll pull that soon and give it a good once over. Body it still in rough shape, but I'll have to take it one step at a time, since I have virtually no budget on this one. We'll see how that goes.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice! Glwb!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
How much money were you into that Ruckus for? Seems like a decent hatch so far. Love that exhaust! LOL

ff4500

5+ Year Member
How much money were you into that Ruckus for? Seems like a decent hatch so far. Love that exhaust! LOL
After all said and done? Probably around $1600 or so.

It was more in the build than actually riding it. I'm 6'2", I'm not the target market for those tiny things.
It was fun, just not something I could see myself using more than a few times a year.

That exhaust was LOL. Who can't figure out that it needs to tuck up into the area that's made for it? Flip the damn thing up so the hangers sit right. Sheesh.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did it have hanger bands, instead of welded hanger tabs? otherwise I don't see how it could have been flipped. Ok, I probably just answered my own question. Welcome, and I'm happy to see some of the sensible changes you're making

ff4500

5+ Year Member
did it have hanger bands, instead of welded hanger tabs? otherwise I don't see how it could have been flipped. Ok, I probably just answered my own question. Welcome, and I'm happy to see some of the sensible changes you're making
Well, the whole thing wasn't flipped, just the center section and resonator. And yes, welded hangers. I can't believe that someone would install it and NOT notice that it wasn't tucked up into the channel that it's made to go into. Oh well.

I wish that I would have taken pictures of the test pipe that was on there. It's about the worst welding job that I've ever seen in person.

emerican

Registered VIP
It seems like the previous owner just lived on ebay lol,
glad to see it getting a proper modding job though im liking where its going
future plans?
and just curious whats the whole current mod list?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ebay's not bad, just have to be selective in what you get. Sadly, most people aren't. Again, glad to see you're upgrading to quality parts

ff4500

5+ Year Member
Plans are to get the passenger side leak fixed before I do anything else... Gotta do that before I get the new black carpet put back in. I'm debating if I should put some dynamat type material down before I get much further. Seems like the right time to do that, since it won't take much to get the seats back out. Do I need to take the old factory sound dreading material off first, or just cover over it?

Once I get the interior finished, I can focus on getting the rust taken care of, and a few dents here and there removed. The body is still in pretty rough shape, and I'll likely need a few new body panels to make it right again. One thing at a time.

emerican

Registered VIP
its up to you if you want to take out the facotry soind deading it wont be an easy task though.

ff4500

5+ Year Member
its up to you if you want to take out the facotry soind deading it wont be an easy task though.
I've heard of people doing the dry ice method, but if its purely for aesthetic reasons, then does it really matter since it'll have carpet over it. Debating on cleaning up what's there and dynamatting right over it.

emerican

Registered VIP
the only people ive ever known that have done it, have done it to lose some dead weight, but still keep the interior.
The only problem i could really see if just laying it over the stock stuff is addiing a little extra weight, but that wouldnt be a problem to me i dd my car so the little bit of weight isnt going to make a difference one way or the other its not a race car its my dd civic lol.

ff4500

5+ Year Member
the only people ive ever known that have done it, have done it to lose some dead weight, but still keep the interior.
The only problem i could really see if just laying it over the stock stuff is addiing a little extra weight, but that wouldnt be a problem to me i dd my car so the little bit of weight isnt going to make a difference one way or the other its not a race car its my dd civic lol.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the extra weight at all. The firewall blanket is gone, and that's where most of the weight was in the first place. Besides, it's gonna be a fun car for the occasional autoX and never a full blown racer, where that will even matter.

Now, the next question: Dynamatting is expensive. Buy the other stuff on eBay or do the roofing material? Worried about the smell of the stuff from the hardware store.

emerican

Registered VIP
not sure about that one never used either product
dynomat is pretty expensive though so hopefully somebody with experience with the other products can chime in.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you figure out the leak into the passenger compartment, please share. I've had the same problem last few years, and can't figure what it's from. main reason I haven't replaced my carpet yet

ff4500

5+ Year Member
if you figure out the leak into the passenger compartment, please share. I've had the same problem last few years, and can't figure what it's from. main reason I haven't replaced my carpet yet
Oh, I'll find it. I've gotta do that before I drive it in any kind of conditions at all. It's been a nice weather beater so far. I usually just drive my truck if it's raining anyway.

Pretty sure that it's a seal under the cowl, but I'll have to do the garden hose trick to see if I can pinpoint it. Theres so many missing bolts and clips on this thing, who knows what's under there. It's always an adventure.

ff4500

5+ Year Member
Sold the 16s yesterday. Gonna pick up a new set of 15s this weekend.
Once it's a bit warmer, I'll be out in the garage again working on the car to get it back into DD shape.

ff4500

5+ Year Member
Guess I should update again.

Sold the Subaru, so I have some room in the garage to work again. Moved the hatch over to the center spot and took the valve cover off to strip. Of course I dropped a bolt for the ground behind the headlight, so I had to take that out to get at it again.

Here's the vc being stripped on Wednesday. Need to spot sand it later tonight and tape and shoot it with primer. Still debating on what color I'm gonna paint it. Maybe I'll just see what they have at the store.