Fix My Xbox!!!!!!

ej_swag

Häagen-Dazs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**k my Xbox. I've had this Arcade Xbox 360 for about 4+ years now and never had a problem. Now I got the good ole red rings but it's only 2 (for heating problems.) So here's what happened:

I'm playing black ops, boom 2 red rings and it shuts off. I let it cool down for a few days since I was busy and didn't really want to mess with it. So 3 days later I turned it on and still red ringing. That was about 5 days ago and yay now it works! For like 5 minutes and then red rings again but I can just reboot it and play for another 5 minutes before it happens yet again.

I've watched some videos and s**t but none really explained the exact problem I'm having. It's not in a cluttered area, neither is the power chord-box-thing. I really don't want to have to send it in or buy a new one.

Any help/suggestions would be much apppppppreciated!
Thanks

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it does it after 5 minutes, sounds like one of the heatsinks have come loose and not making good contact or the thermal paste has dried up. Stop turning on and running it for 5 minutes, you're doing more damage. If you car kept overheating after running for 5 minutes, would you keep turning it on and running it and letting it over heat?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the same thing happens to the older ps3s its the cheap as heat sink thermal paste they use. i don't know about xbox but i took my ps3 apart and used a heat gun to reflow the solder on the ecu then applied better thermal paste it lasted a couple months then overheated again . i did that multiple times but got tired and bought a new slim model . check out youtube for DIYs

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you don't want to do it yourself, hit up craigslist. You can usually find somebody who'll do it for really cheap.

ej_swag

Häagen-Dazs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you don't want to do it yourself, hit up craigslist. You can usually find somebody who'll do it for really cheap.
Last night I found someone on Craigslist that would help and he told me to get it to red ring and then "hold the sync button and push the eject button 4x slowly." He said it's the specific error code to my xbox that is the problem.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Last night I found someone on Craigslist that would help and he told me to get it to red ring and then "hold the sync button and push the eject button 4x slowly." He said it's the specific error code to my xbox that is the problem.
hold the sync button on the console, then push the eject button.
do this 4 times and you should get 4 "numbers"

Error code numbers:

4 Blinking red lights = 0
3 Blinking red lights = 3
2 Blinking red lights = 2
1 Blinking red light = 1

Ex: you push the eject button while holding the sync button and get 4 blinking red lights, then do it again and get 1 blinking red light, again and get 4 blinking, and lastly again and get 2 blinking then the error code would be: 0102

IwantVtec

Registered VIP
Do it yourself if its overheating you go to radioshack and get Artic Silver thermal paste and apply a thin amount to both chips with the heatsink on it.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do it yourself if its overheating you go to radioshack and get Artic Silver thermal paste and apply a thin amount to both chips with the heatsink on it.
How much is too much? How little is to thin?

Having too much is just as bad as having too little.

People say a grain of rice, which, in my opinion, is way too little. About the size of two or three grains of rice would be enough.