Fix Needles?

lovevii

So... All of my needles work on my cluster, but I think the tach needle is off... It's kinda obvious when you look at it that it's not resting where it should be...

Is there a way to fix the needles on an 89? I know some of the newer vehicles you can pop out the needle, but I don't think that works on the 89. Do I have any options aside from replacing the cluster (this is the second one... lol)

Also, will a CRX cluster fit in a Civic? The CRX has a wider gap between the fuel and oil temp needles...

EDIT: You can wind the needle for the tach counter-clockwise to "reset" it. It takes a couple tries to figure out where to release... I think this would probably be the same for the Speedo, but I don't know about the fuel/oil.

RonJ

Banned
Assuming that the engine idles to spec, what rpm at idle does the tach say?

You can just replace the tach:

RonJ

Banned
Click site 1 and site 2 in my signature.

lovevii

Click site 1 and site 2 in my signature.
Diagrams are awesome.
Do you know if the needles for the 88-89 can be removed like they can in the later models?
I had my old gauge cluster laying around for a few days, but I threw it out because the fuel gauge was broken. Now I wish I had kept it so I could tinker...

RonJ

Banned
Diagrams are awesome.
Do you know if the needles for the 88-89 can be removed like they can in the later models?
I had my old gauge cluster laying around for a few days, but I threw it out because the fuel gauge was broken. Now I wish I had kept it so I could tinker...
Removing Civic gauge needles never or very rarely turns out well.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Removing Civic gauge needles never or very rarely turns out well.
yea i can recall many instances on various honda models.... the needle wont go back on... or the entire gauge wont work properly.

models i know to have problems... 86-89 accord, 88-91 civic, 90-91 integra, 01-05 civic... so.. im assuming... all hondas are the same..lol