Flywheel. Resurface or replace?

Altimate502

5+ Year Member
I've decided to finally swap clutches on my em1. As of now i'm either going with a exedy ceramettalic clutch or F1 stage 2. But my question is, should I have the stock flywheel resurfaced or replace it? I read that factory weight is 18 lbs. I don't want a 7.5 fly or something that won't idle normally. The only 12lb flywheel I could find on ebay is XTD?

Opinions?

bluexcrush

5+ Year Member
i'm curious, as I do not have much experience with aftermarket clutch systems - how does a lighter fly wheel affect the clutch?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont get an f1 clutch, they suck. my oem one was better, even with nitrous. ive got a 7lb fidanza and it doesnt effect idle at all, it takes a little getting used to taking off in first though. if you are staying n/a i suggest one. if you keep the stocker, no need to resurface it unless its obviously/visually damaged

Altimate502

5+ Year Member
dont get an f1 clutch, they suck. my oem one was better, even with nitrous. ive got a 7lb fidanza and it doesnt effect idle at all, it takes a little getting used to taking off in first though. if you are staying n/a i suggest one. if you keep the stocker, no need to resurface it unless its obviously/visually damaged

I might just keep the stocker for now then. The clutch on the car right now is a south bend 4 puck sprung clutch. It's not very DD or hill friendly. So I want to swap it for something that has a stock feel and grab but can hold 300-ish whp. I'd rather a clutch slip than not be able to get into gear on a hill.

EM12ENVY

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the flywheel was just resurfaced and if you decide to swap clutches it will not need re surfaced. since it was done less than 3k miles ago. if you want something more street friendly i would go with an act heavy duty street disk and pressure plate very streetable. and will hold that power.

Altimate502

5+ Year Member
the flywheel was just resurfaced and if you decide to swap clutches it will not need re surfaced. since it was done less than 3k miles ago. if you want something more street friendly i would go with an act heavy duty street disk and pressure plate very streetable. and will hold that power.
Good deal. I will definitely look into the ACT.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BUMP:

So what is the final verdict on resurfacing/replacing the flywheel. I have an EXEDY OEM Clutch kit that does not include the flywheel. I am willing to buy an OEM replacement flywheel if it is better than resurfacing it..

Where do you get it resurfaced at and for how much?

Just curious what is the "CORRECT" way on doing a clutch job... My clutch is slipping pretty bad + I have a killer Exhaust leak so I'm hoping fixing both will help my MPG

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
(Link ->) LSD Motorsports (<- Link) has a 12 lb chromoly flywheel on the cheap. The guys over at onecamonly.com are big fans of LSD Motorsports flywheels and clutches.

If you can deal with the hassle of resurfacing your flywheel, go ahead and do it. Most clutch shops do them for Hondas around $40-50. You can buy reman flywheels from O's and A's for around $60-75. The problem with clutch shops is that they're not usually open on weekends. CarQuest, Napa, and O'Reilly's sometimes have turning machines; it's kind of the luck of the draw as to which ones have em.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
(Link ->) LSD Motorsports (<- Link) has a 12 lb chromoly flywheel on the cheap. The guys over at onecamonly.com are big fans of LSD Motorsports flywheels and clutches.

If you can deal with the hassle of resurfacing your flywheel, go ahead and do it. Most clutch shops do them for Hondas around $40-50. You can buy reman flywheels from O's and A's for around $60-75. The problem with clutch shops is that they're not usually open on weekends. CarQuest, Napa, and O'Reilly's sometimes have turning machines; it's kind of the luck of the draw as to which ones have em.
Sounds like I might just buy a new one then. I was hoping it would have been alot more economical to keep the original. I have heard of people resurfacing it themselves with sandpaper/emery cloths, but that just sounds like a whole new can of worms... I'll look into replacement, but I'll call a few NAPA's first...

xelloss

5+ Year Member
Try Competition Clutch stage 2 and 12lbs flywheel. There price seems reasonable and I've read some reviews thru the Internet, the reviews are pretty good.

rexman

hondas for life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a new clutch and save some money and just get ur stock flywheel resurfaced. they can shave a couple pounds off the stock one tops $50 bux. and about the idle im running a fidanza 7 lb on my ls with b16 tranny no idle problems at all im using a spec stage 3 clutch and it is though alot different taking off from a stop.