Flywheel

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am just wondering how a lightened flywheel can increase throttle response? I am looking at buying a new clutch here soon bc I am going to be doing a lot of performance mods and I can feel my clutch starting to go out.

cpforyou

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
12lb is a nice weight for most street driven applications.

Some people like 8 - 10lb weight which is good response, and great for the track but you'll have to get used to revving slightly higher on the street to prevent stalls, etc. etc.

For Drag racing, too light is bad. You want some momentum on your side.

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. Can you tell me waht to expect with a lightened flywheel?

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are you planning on building the D16Y8 or are you going/already have another engine in there? Because if you are going to swap... dont bother with a flywheel until after you swap...

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can you shave your OEM flywheel to make lighter? because some machine shop I saw here is doing this. Is it safe?

cpforyou

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've actually use a OEM lightened flywheel. It's perfectly safe as long as you don't go too much. They pretty much shave the backside. It's safe to go down to 14lbs for most applications. I know some places do more, but I wouldn't feel safe knowing how thin my flywheel is and knowing I could just shatter it.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
One of the problems with shaving your OEM flywheel is the fact that the more metal you take off, the more prone the flywheel is to not disapate heat properly, and the more prone the wheel is to warp. Keep in mined that a chrome or aluminum flywheel is lighter, and disapates heat better, and some after market flywheels usually have a surface that can me removed to be planed or replaced.

cpforyou

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've actually never had a problem running my shaved flywheel. I was running a 13lb shaved flywheel. The only problem I ever had was my clutch (4 Puck ACT) digging into the surface of the flywheel so much, that my clutch outlasted my flywheel.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lightened flywheels help you motor rev up quicker, becuase its less weight to turn when you gas it.....as for shaving i have no clue, id say just buy a after market one....

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by WiggerMan
are you planning on building the D16Y8 or are you going/already have another engine in there? Because if you are going to swap... dont bother with a flywheel until after you swap...
im building hte d16

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, if you are building the D16, i would suggest going with a lightened flywheel. WiggerMan posted a good point....but since you will be building the D16, its all good.

some things to look for....the engine will rev fast...in BOTH directions. meaning you wont just be able to rev faster, but you will also loose revs quicker when not on the throttle. so you will have to adjust your shifting technique a little. also, as someone else said, you will have to adjust the way in which you start off in 1st gear. the other thing i would want to stress ALOT is that you be careful of how heavy your foot is. you can seriously f**k up your engine if you arent paying attention one day when/if you are revin at the stop light. throttle response will be enourmously improved!

hope this helps.

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What will happen when the flywheel cant desepate heat?

the other thing i would want to stress ALOT is that you be careful of how heavy your foot is. you can seriously f**k up your engine if you arent paying attention. WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what i meant is taht i jsut want to make sure you will understand that the engine will rev up ALOT quicker....meaning you will get to your redline alot faster....meaning if you arent paying attention, you will not realize how fast the engine is revving....and you will be bouncing off your rev limiter for a while...which could case some very serious damage if you arent careful.

can anyone else explain this a different way, i am not real good at explaining these things sometimes.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stock you can rev your motor and not worry for it to get to redline, with a lightened fly wheel, that time decreases greatly, so you may think o before i could rev it like this and not get close to redline, well with it lightened it will get there QUICK, and with out dissipating heat your fly wheel warps, just like brake rotors, and warping isnt good...was this better?

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How much faster do they usually rev compared to stock?

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they are very nice and they kinda make your engine rev like a motorcycle like when you turn your car off you can hear your car still spinning down... at least thats how it was on my teg...

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey so if you shave the OEM fly what is the max that you can shave but can retain reliable and daily driven Flywheel?

any good aftermarket fly Link?

xxCoolOutxx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have heard a lot of horror stories about shaved flywheels. If it were me, I would probably cough up the extra cash and buy a nice aftermarket flywheel. But that's just me, I don't like to take any chances with my car. It's all I''ve got.