Fog Lamp protection ???

seaman

5+ Year Member
I currently own a 2006 Civic Ex Coupe, and I've installed the fog lamps kit from Honda OEM. After about 10 days, I realised that one of my lamps was craked, probably done by a small piece of rock on the road. I decided to buy a second fog lamp kit (not OEM) to replace both lamps. It was cheaper to buy a complete kit not OEM instead of buying only 1 spare fog lamp OEM!

After about a month, I realized that both fog lamps were craked. I suspect the cheap quality of the non-OEM lamps, which did not like the temperature difference here in Quebec, during the winter. The lamp can become very hot, and the air temperature stays very cold.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone of you guys have a trick to protect the fog lamps ?? I've bought a spare OEM (99$ US) and will have to find a way to keep them intact ! I was thinking to stick a transparent film on them (3M), but due to high temperature when the lamps are on, I'm not sure about this idea.....

Any suggestion ???

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lamin-x covers should do the trick...

lots of people have had their foglight lenses crack, so you're not alone on that...it's a common problem.

seaman

5+ Year Member
I suppose that the OEM HOnda Foglamps are not enough expensive....at 400$ US for the kit !

seaman

5+ Year Member
I must admit that I almost regret that I've bought the lamin X.......

I'll try to find some of this lexan at my closest convenience store....

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, if you have already bought the laminx use it..but dont sit still for too long with your fogs on or they will burn like mine did i had the 20 mil pre cut stuff and it just started smoking lol..it came off ok though it dont burn itself to the fog. but they have been known to still crack even with laminx on it

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have had lamin-x on my fogs for 2 years. Same sheet, never melted never burned. I don't see why it would burn, lights are usually on when the car is on and moving. So the air would cool them. Now if you are one of those cool kids who sits in a parking lot with the lights on for no reason for an extended period... I could see a chance of it melting.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i had mine on while i was waiting in line for the car wash...and yes when i go somewhere i dont turn my lights off when i stop, unless i get out of the car

seaman

5+ Year Member
On their website, they recommend to shut the lights when you stay stationnary more then 20 minutes....

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was stationary for like maybe 10 mins. but no longer. was that the 20 mil or the 17?

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
seaman said:
I suppose that the OEM HOnda Foglamps are not enough expensive....at 400$ US for the kit !
damn son, thats a rip!!! I got mine for $250 shipped

seaman

5+ Year Member
SeanJohn1802 said:
damn son, thats a rip!!! I got mine for $250 shipped

Hey, I never pay that amount either, that's the price that is on the Honda website installed by the dealer. I bought them on ebay for half this price.....

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Damn $138 shipped for my 6th gen fogs :cool:.

The only way I heard of protecting fog lamps is lamin-x :what:.

seaman

5+ Year Member
amej8 said:
Damn $138 shipped for my 6th gen fogs :cool:.

The only way I heard of protecting fog lamps is lamin-x :what:.
OEM or not ? The second kit I bought on ebay, was not OEM and cost me about 100$ US with shipping.....so the same price as 1 OEM replacement lamp !

crazy ??