Foglight Fuse Popping

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is regarding the 96-98 square foglights (depo i believe) and the fuse is the one in-line with the lights

my foglights worked perfectly fine for a couple months when all of a sudden they didn't anymore. i discovered the fuse popped. so i replaced the fuse and it keeps happening. so i investigated and saw condensation in both lenses. i then opened up the back of both lights and discovered nothing was wet in the actual connection area. put the lights back on, replaced the fuse, and it worked for about a week. did the same solution twice more and worked for about a week each time. now whenever i only replace the fuse it doesn't work, i have to open the back, fiddle a little bit, then they work for a week.

i can get the relay to click (which was replaced) but everytime the fuse goes. the switch still lights up. anyone had the problem before and know the solution?

also... a small bit of background... i had to make a new ground out of the black wire comming out of the relay [just tapped right into the wire (like a T connection)] to make the foglights work... and where the red wire inside the car is supposed to connect to the headlight control thing it is not in the spot where the instructions and online say to (would not work)... i forget where exactly it is plugged into but i can check if anyone is interested... thanks to anyone who reads the whole thing

nitebeest

5+ Year Member
I read it all!! Yay.

Umm... check the wiring and make sure you're not grounding out anywhere along the way. That's what it sounds like to me. When I was redoing the wiring for my underbody kit to a different switch, I accidently grounded the wire out at some point and popped the fuse. No harm done, just replaced the fuse and double checked to make sure I wasn't grounding anywhere else. Problem solved. I'd say to check that first though and then go from there.

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha, thanks for reading man... yeh, sometime in the next 3 days i'm going to triple check everything along the wires... i'll check back after that... i just wasn't sure if this was a common problem with a simple solution or not...

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea I had the same problem found out that I had put the wires on the toggle switch on the wrong spot.

Grafix Ink.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
same problem i am having... i created a thred 2 down form here...
exact exact problem.. relay clicking, fuse replaced, fuse fine,.. and now nothing...
it doesn't even pop n e more

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BBProductions said:
same problem i am having... i created a thred 2 down form here...
exact exact problem.. relay clicking, fuse replaced, fuse fine,.. and now nothing...
it doesn't even pop n e more
haha, exactly the same... i'll give the toggle switch a shot along with other things and get back to ya