for my future civic i want a mid 12 sec car

cas9889

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as most of you know i am trying to get rid of my firebird or firechicken as some say

as it looks now i will be getting a boosted coupe with a sohc on like 10psi with all stock internals

i was wondering for 2 things is it possible to have a reliable 93 coupe with a sohc doing a 12.5? and is it even possible?

if not...would i be able to do it on with a b18 non vtec motor because as a college kid i dont have a lot of money

whats your two cents?

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It is very possible....I am shooting for a 400hp d16. Of course the engine will need to be built and as long as you have a good tune you should be alright.

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my 2 cents is, if you couldnt afford a cheap civic to buy, you wont be able to afford a boosted car
but if you figure it out, more power to ya

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
True, boosted cars cost a lot more. You do more oil changes, you have to start using premium gas, etc. If you figure you can do it however, a mid 12 second car would be dope. How many miles does the SOHC have on it? I wouldn't go anymore than 10psi on stock internals, even that is pushing it. If you want to make a mid 12 second coupe you're going to need to take the SOHC out, rebuild it with forged internals, and put it back in. So right there you're going to need another DD, can you say cha-ching? Motor work can take awhile because there's tons of parts to be ordered, and there's a evil thing called backorder, haha. But, if you have another DD, then that's awesome! Maybe throw out how much money you have, so we can give you a better idea. Just rebuilding the internals of the D are going to be about 1g by the time you replace the gaskets and seals and such, and it could be even more. As far as a DOHC non-Vtec, or B18a/b, you can run about 250whp on stock internals, which in a hatch, with slips, might get you 12.5, but it all depends on the driver, altitude, etc. If you can pick up a cheap B18b, do that and build it on the side, and use this new coupe as your DD. Keep in mind you will need to get almost all new turbo stuff as a turbo for a SOHC is too small for a DOHC in most cases, and the manifold will be different, downpipe, etc.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why don't you just drop a V8 in your firebird and have a 12 second car for less money?

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gas prices? Handling? It would be a good idea but I think he's after something under 7 thousand pounds, hehe.

cas9889

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well not only that i still want to keep 20+ for gas milage and my car has ttops if i drop the v8 in the tq can twist the chasis

cas9889

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for the info keep shooting me ideas i can pick up a complete b18b for like 500 with everything but the trans is that a good or bad price?

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you fail, give up.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^good price, you can also pick up a SI or GSR tranny with the rest of the money you have.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so say you get the B18b1, then get a GSR or LS tranny, and turbo it on stock internals. I would get a new headgasket and replace the headstuds with ARP brand. Other than that, that will be a reliable 250whp motor at about 8psi on a really good tune, and in a gutted coupe might make you your 12.5 second quarter mile on drag radials or slicks.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Honda-Tech is down for maintenance right now, but when it's back up, search "turbo b18a/b" and one of them should be the "official thread". There's like 600 pages of people with turbo LS motors, from fully built to completely stock. Definitely a good read.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You see all this talk of motors, but it is the light all the way down the end of the tunnel. He doesn't even have a car to put these motors in. I'd say find a reasonably priced shell since you don't want the factory motor anyways, then buy like an Ls swap, get it going, and then you can go from there. Trade off the Ls swap if you want something else.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You see all this talk of motors, but it is the light all the way down the end of the tunnel. He doesn't even have a car to put these motors in. I'd say find a reasonably priced shell since you don't want the factory motor anyways, then buy like an Ls swap, get it going, and then you can go from there. Trade off the Ls swap if you want something else.
I think he's trading his DD for the Civic, which will be his new DD, so that really wouldn't work. I could be wrong though.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I think he's trading his DD for the Civic, which will be his new DD, so that really wouldn't work. I could be wrong though.
Hmm, true. I have 3 vehicles so I've never had to worry about it.

cas9889

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea your right

thanks for the info guys

as the title says "future civic" so im just getting an idea on what i want to do seeing what quick info i can pick up my dream civic would be a h22 vtec turbo hatch but thats way down the road