For those that were/are in the military

IwantVtec

Registered VIP
Well guys I leave in 1 month for Army BCT at Fort Jackson SC. My MOS is 15T which is Black Hawk Repair since I wanted a repair job. Now my dilemma is I'm becoming extremely nervous every day that goes by and wanted to know your experience at BCT. Maybe you can also give me some tips like what to do and what not to do since that would be helpful.

Also does anyone know how strict AIT is compared to BCT? I'm going to FT. Eustis for AIT and would like a little info and will there be a break between BCT and AIT or do I just go straight to AIT?

Thanks guys

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im prior service air force but i did my tech school (AIT equiv.) on an army post at Aberdeen proving grounds. For basic, best advice i can give is, dont think, just follow orders. Do as you're told and you'll be fine. Becoming a team with a group of people you hardly know is the hard part.

AIT will be less strict than basic, but not by much. This can vary based on your post but in general its less strict due to you understanding the way things go and the Sgt's not having to beat it into your brain.

From what i know air force wise, some people went straight into training after basic and some didnt. Not sure why though. I went straight in and didnt go home until about a year later for a week, then to my first duty assignment.

nothing to be nervous about....at least your not infantry

rey_boricua

2000 EM1 B16A2T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just do what is expected of you and learn as much as you can. Stay disciplined and you will be fine. AIT is a bit more relaxed the BCT.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A lot has changed since i joined, but like these guys said..follow instructions

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
ya i leave for the army on april 30th to fort leonard wood missouri. mos is 88m with airborne itll be fun and even funnier seeing my fata$$ jump out of a plane. nervous as hell since ive never jumped out of a plane but stoked to get in shape and finally able to provide for my family.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ya i leave for the army on april 30th to fort leonard wood missouri. mos is 88m with airborne itll be fun and even funnier seeing my fata$$ jump out of a plane. nervous as hell since ive never jumped out of a plane but stoked to get in shape and finally able to provide for my family.
Yea after basic, your *ss won't be so fat.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How'd you manage to earn E3?

I'm going in as E3 because of my education.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
probably longer contract

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The longer contracts are normally for the advanced jobs. Navy, SO or SEALs. Army, 13Xray. Things like that. For the more basic contracts, you can sometimes extend the service time for a small signing bonus. Never heard of it earning rank though.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can "recruit" your friends in joining a branch. After so many people joining you can get promoted. I think while in basic you can also get promoted. Also don't look like a dirtbag. Always have a clean haircut and shave. Don't have your uniform all jacked up.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The longer contracts are normally for the advanced jobs. Navy, SO or SEALs. Army, 13Xray. Things like that. For the more basic contracts, you can sometimes extend the service time for a small signing bonus. Never heard of it earning rank though.
i got E3 straight out of basic for a 6 year contract. Had high ASVAB scores but i chose a basic job. vehicle maintenance.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
<< High ASVAB / High GT Score / High PFT/CFT - - Went to Parris Island as an E1. I only say that because I'm bitter...E-1/2/3 Time in service/grade and made E-4 well ahead my classmates. Now some jackass solider who has a degree in basket weaving thinks he can walk up and tell ME wtf to do? Fk off dude, I have more time in an MRAP than you do in service.
/rant

---- whoosah ---

I actually replied to this last night with a decent paragraph but I guess the internet dropped when I posted it. :(

Its been said again and again. Shut up and color. Do as your told, no more, no less. Expect friction and altercations. You're taking people from all walks of life and FORCING them to get along. For a lot of these people it's the first time they've had someone in their face telling them how to tie their boots and wipe their ass.

As for letting bootcamp get you into shape, not really. While I was at Ft Sill, I watched solider after solider eat cake and pudding, drink soft drinks and all kinds of nasty s**t. Yes, you'll go through rigourous training at times but there will also be times where you sit and take classes for a day or two. The only way you can make bootcamp work for your health is to change you eating habits permanetley. Once you get away from bootcamp you'll fall back into old habits. Eating McDonalds for lunch everyday, playing CoD for 6hrs a night. Yes, you can go running every morning for 30 minutes at the slowest mans pace for your platoons PT, but how much does that help you? It dosent.

All the best to you man. As you can see you have a few veterans giving you feedback, take everything you can from them. Feel free to ask any of them.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Airborn truck driver lol. I guess you didnt do all 4 years course things have changed since I went through. I feel bad fot whoever goes to basic this time of year. I went to Jackson in feb. And it wad still cold. Its easy though. Dont volunteer for s**t. Dont speak till spoken to and have fun. You have your own personal trainer and free food. Finally save up money from basic and ait.

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
Oxymoron haha. Well I will go in this summer but ill still suffer. I plan to keep to myself and just do my job.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
And all the money is being saved so when I get stationed I can take care of the kids and wifey!!!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk