Formula 1 - 2012 Season (LIVE DISCUSSION - SPOILERS!!)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
This is a live discussion thread for the 2012 Formula 1 Season. There will be SPOILERS regarding ongoing race events, so if you haven't watched the qualifier nor the race, keep away from this thread until you have. This way things won't get ruined for you =)

okay, live discussion goes here. feel free to talk about anything without worrying about spoiling it for anyone.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
wow, what a great race. amazing how they maintained those tires on a single pit strategy, just betting on the rain. also, great work by RBR in this race in their strategy and their win. i am, however, very sad for romain who one again hadn't been able to finish a race. at least his record this season isn't as bad as schumi's lol

[SGH-T989/Tapatalk]

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
2 threads anfelope?

:wak:

I caught the last 10 laps, so I need to watch the beginning of the race. I heard there was some action...

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
this is one for day-of discussion, our discussion during the race itself. sometimes people wanna talk about things right away rather than 24 hours later.

[SGH-T989/Tapatalk]

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow, what a great race. amazing how they maintained those tires on a single pit strategy, just betting on the rain. also, great work by RBR in this race in their strategy and their win. i am, however, very sad for romain who one again hadn't been able to finish a race. at least his record this season isn't as bad as schumi's lol

[SGH-T989/Tapatalk]
I really wish Romain could make it to the end of more races. I think he would place high if he finished, he's just been getting unlucky. I definitely thought the race was exciting though. Side note: Does anyone else dislike Hamilton as much as I do? He wasn't that bad this race, but normally he really makes me mad. He seems desperate when driving and takes out fellow drivers to better his position(especially last year with Massa), he is always making excuses when he doesn't do well, and he never seems happy.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want to talk about "taking out fellow drivers", did you see maldonado at practice?

http://www.speedtv.com//video/formula-1/f1-maldonado-penalized-monaco-gp-2012-1657707871001/1#_vtop

What a d**k...
Yeah, Maldonado is another driver that I have little respect for. Granted, he does have some talent(as shown by his win 2 weeks ago in Spain), but the only reason he has the seat at Williams is because of money. I think there are more deserving drivers with less financial backing who should be driving instead of him. I don't think there has been a single practice session this year that Maldonado hasn't spun or wrecked the car in.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
agreed, i don't quite like him and it seems all the payoff rumors are actually true.

i'm a big fan of romain grosjean. i've seen a few of his GP2 races as well as his FPs and Qualis this season and he's a very good and very fast driver. i really expect him to shine if fortune is willing to shine on him. overall i'm very happy with the lotus team this year, though i haven't seen any footage of jerome d'ambrosio (3rd driver) yet. as for kimi, i've been a big fan of him since his wrc days and i've really been hoping to see him win another world championship now that he's back in F1.

so, i just have to say... i watched the monaco race on speed (first time watching a full race on speed, actually) and was absolutely infuriated by the fact that they played commercials in the middle of the race. absolutely horrible and very disappointing. i usually watch on Sky Sports via an internet feed and have gotten so spoiled by continuous non-stop advert-free coverage.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
agreed, i don't quite like him and it seems all the payoff rumors are actually true.

i'm a big fan of romain grosjean. i've seen a few of his GP2 races as well as his FPs and Qualis this season and he's a very good and very fast driver. i really expect him to shine if fortune is willing to shine on him. overall i'm very happy with the lotus team this year, though i haven't seen any footage of jerome d'ambrosio (3rd driver) yet. as for kimi, i've been a big fan of him since his wrc days and i've really been hoping to see him win another world championship now that he's back in F1.

so, i just have to say... i watched the monaco race on speed (first time watching a full race on speed, actually) and was absolutely infuriated by the fact that they played commercials in the middle of the race. absolutely horrible and very disappointing. i usually watch on Sky Sports via an internet feed and have gotten so spoiled by continuous non-stop advert-free coverage.
I agree, I think Grosjean is really talented. Alonso, followed by Kimi are my two favorites.

I hate Fox/Speed's broadcast. We're just lucky they didn't cut off the interviews to continue with NASCAR coverage. They do that almost every week, it really bothers me.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
damn what an amazing race! strategy really worked for McLaren this time around, even with that pit issue with Hamilton's RR wheel.

those last few laps were great. i'm very happy with Romain's P2 finish, he certainly deserves it. Schumi is having the worst fortune this season, poor guy.

[SGH-T989/Tapatalk]

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn what an amazing race! strategy really worked for McLaren this time around, even with that pit issue with Hamilton's RR wheel.

those last few laps were great. i'm very happy with Romain's P2 finish, he certainly deserves it. Schumi is having the worst fortune this season, poor guy.

[SGH-T989/Tapatalk]
Even though I strongly dislike Hamilton, I have to give him props for those last couple laps. I can only wonder what the outcome would've been had Alonso and Vettel pitted at the same time rather than try to stay out. Romain definitely deserves it though. I love his sincere happiness whenever he does well. Poor Schumacher, it seems every race he is out with either a mechanical failure or wreck. Those last laps were painful, as an Alonso fan, watching him drop through the field on dead tires.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
honestly, i think ferrari had the right strategy as well. it's a shame the tires got worn so quickly for alonso. had the tires held up, he could've won the race.

i don't quite like lewis much, mostly due to his attitude. he just seems rather stuck up to me and his nose-in-the-air aura of superiority just makes me dislike him. plus the fact he never wants to talk to the press and seems so uptight just doesn't jive with me. granted, kimi likes to keep his life private as well, but you can tell he's an easygoing fun loving guy.

now romain, complete opposite of lewis. that smile on his face today while on the podium was the kind that makes everyone around him glow. as much as i am a fernando fan, the team i'm rooting for is lotus. i love their attitude and their three drivers are simply amazing people and great racers. it also pleases me when checo perez, the "king of tire management" as i like to call him, places in a good position. plus, i'd like for sauber to get more than the single race win they've ever gotten in their F1 history.

oh, i also wanted to gripe about the Fox coverage of the race. at one point shortly past half distance, they showed only two laps and broke for commercials that lasted 3 laps. that was so infuriating!! good thing i had the Sky stream on the computer. sure, it was blurry, but better than adverts. i wish i could order channels a-la-carte... i wouldn't mind paying good money to have full uncut races in HD.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
honestly, i think ferrari had the right strategy as well. it's a shame the tires got worn so quickly for alonso. had the tires held up, he could've won the race.

i don't quite like lewis much, mostly due to his attitude. he just seems rather stuck up to me and his nose-in-the-air aura of superiority just makes me dislike him. plus the fact he never wants to talk to the press and seems so uptight just doesn't jive with me. granted, kimi likes to keep his life private as well, but you can tell he's an easygoing fun loving guy.

now romain, complete opposite of lewis. that smile on his face today while on the podium was the kind that makes everyone around him glow. as much as i am a fernando fan, the team i'm rooting for is lotus. i love their attitude and their three drivers are simply amazing people and great racers. it also pleases me when checo perez, the "king of tire management" as i like to call him, places in a good position. plus, i'd like for sauber to get more than the single race win they've ever gotten in their F1 history.

oh, i also wanted to gripe about the Fox coverage of the race. at one point shortly past half distance, they showed only two laps and broke for commercials that lasted 3 laps. that was so infuriating!! good thing i had the Sky stream on the computer. sure, it was blurry, but better than adverts. i wish i could order channels a-la-carte... i wouldn't mind paying good money to have full uncut races in HD.

This whole post somes up my thoughts exactly haha. Hamilton is rude to the press and stuck-up until he wins, then he acts like a nice guy. He never seems happy with his position unless its first.

I think if the next race in Valencia is going to have an 8th winner it will be Grosjean(if he doesn't get taken out in the first lap) or Perez. They both definitely have the pace to win a Grand Prix, its just a matter of time. I also think it's cool how Grosjean had half a season of F1 a couple years ago and they got rid of him saying he wasn't good enough. Then he found his way back to F1 and now he is doing quite well.

Don't even get me started on Fox. The 3-4 races on Fox every year are by far the worst coverage. They showed the first 5 laps of the race, went to commercial, showed 3 laps, then went to commercial again. It was ridiculous. They also had to rush through the pre and post race material to get back to their regularly scheduled programming. At least they showed it on Speed this year. Last year they just cut it off. I also can't stand how the commentators have to over-explain everything for the new-to-F1 audience.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the explaining was super annoying, especially when they started actively referring to DRS as "wing flap" instead of the actual name. i understand they wanna get people interested, but that's stuff for the pre-race coverage, not during the race!

[SGH-T989/Tapatalk]

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is off topic.. I was in Long Beach all last week (missed the canadian grand prix b/c of work!) but I got to walk around the Long Beach Grand Prix Circuit and took pictures of Mario Andretti's sidewalk plaque (for CART, not F1). It was odd that the F1 winners didn't have one... Anyways, pretty cool place! F1 should come back to CA :thumbs up

Last edited:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is off topic.. I was in Long Beach all last week (missed the canadian grand prix b/c of work!) but I got to walk around the Long Beach Grand Prix Circuit and took pictures of Mario Andretti's sidewalk plaque (for CART, not F1). It was odd that the F1 winners didn't have one... Anyways, pretty cool place! F1 should come back to CA :thumbs up

Lucky! I love California, can't wait to visit again. It would be cool to have a race there, but I'm pretty psyched for the New Jersey Grand Prix next year. I plan to go all three days.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Let me start off by saying that I HATE Fox Sports! It's bad enough that they don't show the pre and post race coverage on the same channel as the actual race and they have 3 laps of racing then 3 laps of commercials, but seriously?? They skipped from lap 15 to 37!??! By doing so, I missed Vettel's car failing, Alonso getting to the lead, and all of the crucial pit stops. That is absolutely ridiculous...

Overall, it was a fantastic race though. I delighted because my two favorite drivers finished first and second and my least favorite, Hamilton, wrecked himself out. What an idiot, I was yelling in joy when he wrecked. I think that his wreck shows the lack of maturity and possibly driving skill between him and Alonso. Two weeks ago, Fernando was in the same position (tires going off and losing numerous positions at the end of the race), but he realized that a finish is more important and took the lesser place rather than desperately wrecking himself and his opponents in an attempt to finish on the podium.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This was a great race, I feel sorry for Romain Grosjean, he had a great race going and then it just drops, I also feel sorry for the Lotus crew, I think them having two cars in the top 10 would've been a great booster for them, and I'd really like to see them do better.

Congrats to Alonso, he did a great job in handling the race and holding Kimi at a steady pace. Also delighted to see Michael make a podium, no matter what happens I will always root for this man.

Hamilton made a prime example of why I do not like him. He should've known to not race as hard as he was on tires that were shot, and then to turn around and blame Pastor.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Let me start off by saying that I HATE Fox Sports! It's bad enough that they don't show the pre and post race coverage on the same channel as the actual race and they have 3 laps of racing then 3 laps of commercials, but seriously?? They skipped from lap 15 to 37!??! By doing so, I missed Vettel's car failing, Alonso getting to the lead, and all of the crucial pit stops. That is absolutely ridiculous...
wow, that's ridiculous. i missed watching it live and just finished watching the recorded sky f1 coverage. no breaks nor adverts is much better for a race like this. that's insane you missed out on 22 of the most crucial laps of the race. :\

Overall, it was a fantastic race though. I delighted because my two favorite drivers finished first and second and my least favorite, Hamilton, wrecked himself out. What an idiot, I was yelling in joy when he wrecked. I think that his wreck shows the lack of maturity and possibly driving skill between him and Alonso. Two weeks ago, Fernando was in the same position (tires going off and losing numerous positions at the end of the race), but he realized that a finish is more important and took the lesser place rather than desperately wrecking himself and his opponents in an attempt to finish on the podium.
while i did feel really bad for seb losing out on his massive lead due to the safety car (really, that lead had me sweating with nerves - my roommate is a big RBR fan and i'm a huge Lotus fan), i couldn't help but feel both surprise and satisfaction when seb's car stalled out forcing him out. from that point on, i thought for sure romain was going to take it with his incredible pace. fernando passing him so easily was f'n crazy but i thought romain would have the pace to retake lead position.... then failure out of nowhere. i felt it was karma for my gloating over seb's failure. i haven't watched the post-race coverage so i'm not sure what the stewards decided with the lewis/pastor incident, but i am kinda glad that cocky kid is out. his pace was severely diminishing and he simply tried too hard instead of saving his car for a points finish. i'm sure mclaren will be having a word with him not only for that, but also for chucking his $50,000 steering wheel against the barrier. thank you pastor for bringing us results i can be happy with

all in all, what i felt was going to be a boring race (street circuits usually are, for the most part) turned out to be full of surprises and possibly one of the best so far this season. i'm very happy for fernando as i'm a big fan of him as well (i love following his posts on twitter and instagram) and for kimi to take 2nd made me extremely happy. i feel if lewis hadn't been n front of kimi for so long, we would've had an interesting one-two battle.

also, very impressive performance by schumi and mark webber pulling all those positions after their last tire change. hell, mark pulled 15 positions this race from the starting grid. outstanding. i'm also very happy for schumi, finally back in the podium again after so much misfortune these past few years (and very much so this season). overall i'm very satisfied with this race.

This was a great race, I feel sorry for Romain Grosjean, he had a great race going and then it just drops, I also feel sorry for the Lotus crew, I think them having two cars in the top 10 would've been a great booster for them, and I'd really like to see them do better.
Lotus has a great pair of drivers and cars that can put out incredible pace. they had a good strategy going this race, pity their drivers kept getting stuck behind lewis.

Congrats to Alonso, he did a great job in handling the race and holding Kimi at a steady pace. Also delighted to see Michael make a podium, no matter what happens I will always root for this man.

Hamilton made a prime example of why I do not like him. He should've known to not race as hard as he was on tires that were shot, and then to turn around and blame Pastor.
well said. can't wait to watch the post-race coverage after i get some sleep.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

I felt bad for Seb and Grosjean. Even though I'm not a huge fan of either, I still think they are fantastic drivers and to be out of the race at no fault of their own is hard to watch.

I think Michael Schumacher is awesome to watch. He is at the point where he just races for fun and that is evident in his interviews. I don't think, despite all the trouble he's had this season, I've seen him super upset of angry(quite the opposite of Hamilton).

Hamilton's driving style has always come across as desperate to me. One of my favorite shops from the whole race was the helicopter view of him punching the steering wheel after he crashed out haha.

wow, that's ridiculous. i missed watching it live and just finished watching the recorded sky f1 coverage. no breaks nor adverts is much better for a race like this. that's insane you missed out on 22 of the most crucial laps of the race. :\

while i did feel really bad for seb losing out on his massive lead due to the safety car (really, that lead had me sweating with nerves - my roommate is a big RBR fan and i'm a huge Lotus fan), i couldn't help but feel both surprise and satisfaction when seb's car stalled out forcing him out. from that point on, i thought for sure romain was going to take it with his incredible pace. fernando passing him so easily was f'n crazy but i thought romain would have the pace to retake lead position.... then failure out of nowhere. i felt it was karma for my gloating over seb's failure. i haven't watched the post-race coverage so i'm not sure what the stewards decided with the lewis/pastor incident, but i am kinda glad that cocky kid is out. his pace was severely diminishing and he simply tried too hard instead of saving his car for a points finish. i'm sure mclaren will be having a word with him not only for that, but also for chucking his $50,000 steering wheel against the barrier. thank you pastor for bringing us results i can be happy with

all in all, what i felt was going to be a boring race (street circuits usually are, for the most part) turned out to be full of surprises and possibly one of the best so far this season. i'm very happy for fernando as i'm a big fan of him as well (i love following his posts on twitter and instagram) and for kimi to take 2nd made me extremely happy. i feel if lewis hadn't been n front of kimi for so long, we would've had an interesting one-two battle.

also, very impressive performance by schumi and mark webber pulling all those positions after their last tire change. hell, mark pulled 15 positions this race from the starting grid. outstanding. i'm also very happy for schumi, finally back in the podium again after so much misfortune these past few years (and very much so this season). overall i'm very satisfied with this race.

Lotus has a great pair of drivers and cars that can put out incredible pace. they had a good strategy going this race, pity their drivers kept getting stuck behind lewis.

well said. can't wait to watch the post-race coverage after i get some sleep.
I agree, this was a fantastic race to watch(from the little of it I saw). I loved watching Schumacher and Webber move up the field together and passing car after car. In the post race interview, Schumacher said he didn't evern know he was on the podium when he finished. :lol: