fresh rebuild won't start

thermalstorm

5+ Year Member
I have just finished putting my b16a back together, I had a hole is piston #4, so I got oversized pistons and got the block bored out. After I assembled everything back together I went to go start , everything was fine idleing mint, I go to give it a bit of gas and it almost quits, now it won't start at all, I have checked the obvious and I am out of ideas, the car is a 99 si,
motor is b16a, ecu is p2t, I have used all the existing parts from motor all I did was the pistons? Why is this happening and what can I do?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you use new rings? If not, theyre most likely worn out and wont hold compression. Have you done a compression test yet? Numbers from the test?

thermalstorm

5+ Year Member
Yes, i would never replace pistons without replacing the rings, and yes i did a dry compression test, i get 160 for all 4, i know that it is suppose to be around 200 but like i said this block is fresh and so are my pistons and rings, from what i know the rings have to wear into the cylinder walls, just like pads have to adhear to the rotors correct me if im wrong but would that not be why my compression is 160, and also i used new head, intake and exhaust manifold gasket's.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you getting spark, fuel, and air? When you said you checked the "obvious", what all did you check? I dont want to throw out things to check, if youve already checked them.

thermalstorm

5+ Year Member
Yes all the elements to start the vehicle are there which is what is making this so complicated. The first enitial time i started the vehicle after the rebuild it started, idled and 650 or 700 whatever the nomal idle is, then i went to go give it a bit a gas and when i did it would just bog down. Thats when i checked for spark and fuel, cleand the injectors, rechecked my timing everything seems to be normal. Then today when i started it, it idled at like 200 then when i would shut it off i wouldnt start for like a half hour.