Front and Rear lips?

Novtecgoesbwahh

Was reading around, and clicked on several threads that showed up after I typed my title in, but to no prevail.

I just picked up a bone stock 97 Ex 2 door, in Black.

As of right now, while my coilovers are on order, I'm trying to find front and rear lips for it.
I prefer the JDM "Style" Type-r front and rear lips, but I can't find any reputable, that aren't 500 a piece.

I'm not looking for legits, I'm looking for a decently done replica, that will fit decently well.

Looking for something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-98-Civic-JDM-CTR-Front-Type-R-Rear-Bumper-Lip-Kit-4Drs-EK-PU-/320791187347?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Civic&hash=item4ab0a50f93&vxp=mtr

On the front, it's not just a straightline, it comes up and kind of "hugs" the oval hole in the bumper.

And on the rear, I like how it has the muffler hole cut out.

Any help on where I can find something along these lines, that isn't 900$?

Honestly, I can't figure out which front lip I like more.
The ones that hug the hole in the front or the ones that are just straight across..
>.>

Anybody help?

Last edited by a moderator:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The one that "hugs the hole" like in the link you posted is the 96-98 OEM Civic Type R front lip. It is commonly referred to as a CTR lip. The one that is just straight across is usually called Type R style and is a knock off of the 99-00 Civic Type R & Si front lip. There are OEM and replica versions of both although the 99-00 style is further off of the original in design as the flares in the front corners are more exaggerated. Fitment of the replicas is generally hit or miss, they tend to fit okay but mounting them isn't as nice as OEM. In my opinion, the 96-98 style looks much, much better. You should also look into the SiR lip if you aren't aware of that one.

Novtecgoesbwahh

The one that "hugs the hole" like in the link you posted is the 96-98 OEM Civic Type R front lip. It is commonly referred to as a CTR lip. The one that is just straight across is usually called Type R style and is a knock off of the 99-00 Civic Type R & Si front lip. There are OEM and replica versions of both although the 99-00 style is further off of the original in design as the flares in the front corners are more exaggerated. Fitment of the replicas is generally hit or miss, they tend to fit okay but mounting them isn't as nice as OEM. In my opinion, the 96-98 style looks much, much better. You should also look into the SiR lip if you aren't aware of that one.
Any clue on where I could find a good replica set, of the front and rear of the 96-98 ctr?

Also, thank you very much for your response!

Would taking a chance with these even be worth it?
I don't typically like buying things from ebay.
I bought a lip for my old teg from ebay, and it was sh**.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-98-Civic-CTR-JDM-Front-TR-Rear-Lip-Grille-2-4Dr-/171070536463?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d4993b0f&vxp=mtr

I guess the grill would be nice, s'well.

And I'm guessing with the rear lip being installed, mudflaps are out of the question?

Last edited by a moderator:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All the replica trash fits like replica trash lol. If you bought an old fake for your integra, the dake lips for this civic will be of the same quality. Either be happy with crap fakes or fork up more cash for genuine pieces.

CO671

Registered VIP
They use photos from cars that have legit parts, the photo isn't the same as the product.
Fitment is poopy. If you want quality, don't get it from Ebay.

There's 2 main materials of lips. Either polyurethane, or ABS plastic. The polyurethane is a rubbery material and can flex, bend, which I prefer but the cons to it are that it's not the best fitment. ABS Plastic is great if you want better fitment (Not better than OEM or authentic). I'd recommend to look for specfiically polyurethane lips

The people who try to sell replica Type R lips for $200+ are just taking advantage of people that have no clue what they're doing. Just because you're paying a high price doesn't mean you're getting a quality item. The $50 lips are the same as the $500 replica lips, they use the same molds and pretty much the same material. Go as cheap as possible if you're getting a replica lip, they're all the same.

These photos are taken from the link in my signature:

Here's how the 96-98 CTR Replica lip will most likely look:

The front lip you want is a 96-98 CTR / Civic Type R lip and fits 96-98 Coupes/Sedan/Hatchbacks
The rear lip you want, that's actually a 99-00 EM1/SI Coupe lip and only fits 99-00 Coupe/Sedan rear bumpers.

Rear lips are really s***ty and hard to mount when they're fake, and especially if they're polyurethane.

Here's some ebay rear lip

If you want to mount them onto your rear bumper when/if you get one. Check this out, we had a discussion about it in the 96-00 sedan thread:
not sure if this is similar to how John has his lip mounted, but this is how my lip looked when it was on my car. i had the brackets on the corners to keep from sagging.

how my car looked with the rear lip on:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...These photos are taken from the link in my signature...:
Signatures are becoming irrelevant as most users are on tapatalk (or an equivalent forum app) for the most part now a days. Signatures dont usually show on applications like tapatalk.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As far as the rear lip goes, the common Type R style lip that you see everywhere is just a knock off of the 99-00 Si rear lip. The Type R was only a hatchback so a real Type R lip looks different. Rear lip fitment is always pretty sketchy with the eBay stuff.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have always gone OEM for my front and rear lips. Its hard to find any OEM rears for 99-00 I had to drive a state away to get mine lol

CO671

Registered VIP
Not for 97 specfiically, but 98 OEM ones fit, and are rare.

The rear lips for 96-98 coupes/sedans are usually the 99-00 replicas, which are fine.

For 97 front just look for any 96-98 front lip you want.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

This is the 96-98 OEM rear lip.

Some of the replica front lips look okay but as far as the rear goes, I don't think they ever turn out well. For it to look right, you really should have it paint matched as well and is it really worth it to pay for paint on a cheapo lip?

Novtecgoesbwahh

True..
Guess I should just look into the rep front lip and possibly a ctr style grill.
Rear lips are super hella expensive.

Who makes a good 6000kelvin hid kit, besides ddmtuning?
I ordered my Integra's from them, and it took them FOREVER to ship it.