Frustrated! Need electrical help, I think?

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
Ok so trying to get my speedometer to work again. It started going in and out last fall and progressively got worse to hardly ever. I put a new speed sensor in yesterday. It worked yesterday but today back to nothing. I'm thinking there has to be a short somewhere or a lose connection. I can only follow the wires for maybe a foot before they go into the main wire spool. Does anyone know the path the sensors wires take to the speedometer? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check for continuity from the VSS to the VSS input on the ecu

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
check ur codes if you have any. if you dont theres a chance it my be the cluster. i ran into this problem last year with my 98 ex no matter what i changed and tested speedo would only work when it wanted. And i never got a cel. i decided to change the speedo head in the gauge cluster i got one from a local junkyard for 5 bucks. my problem was solved. note- i only changed the speedo gauge not the whole cluster fairly easy task.

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
No CEL codes. I've had a couple people tell me its the cluster. I hate to spend a hundred bucks if thats not the problem ya know.

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
No codes just a non working speedometer and the odometer doesn't work. I got it to work long enough to get 43 miles on it. Do you know how many you need after a code reset before you can get it inspected? I tried right after I reset it and they said it wouldn't pass because it had been reset. It needed between 40 and 80 miles before the ecu will register?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like 300. I think. I'm not exactly sure. But you can get a cluster on ebay for like $60.

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
the reason i just replaced the speedo gauge was because you can use it from any model lx,dx,ex that fits your car. so you dont have to deal with just finding the exact model. a ex whole cluster is pretty pricey and lets face it if you have a dx u want a ex cluster over putting a big ass tach in ur car. all the speedo gauges are the same tho 92-95 96-00 depending on what you can find it my be cheaper