Fuel Pump?

Ekteg2k

5+ Year Member
So last weekend i was driving my 00 ex on the highway and it shut off. put i back in gear and roll started it and it ran for a second until i took it out of gear, then it shut off. i parked it and tried to restart it and it wouldn't. I sat there for a while and listen for the fuel pump to prime and nothing. After a while i got it to restart for a second and then it cut off again. so i towed it and replaced the fuel pump. After the replacement it worked awesome for about three days and then today the same problem happened. I unscrewed the pump and tested the wires again and it wouldn't restart. I can't figure out what the problem is. i dont know why it keeps shutting off. I did read in the other threads about checking the fuses and i will tomorrow but if i replaced the pump and not the fuses last time that means that the fuses aren't the problem right?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
swap out the main relay with a friend and see if the problem continues

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check the main relay. It's under the dash, around/above where the hood release is.

RonJ

Banned
So the fuel pump won't prime, right? Do you also lack spark? Any CEL codes?

I was thinking bad main relay too, but that's an uncommon problem for 6th gen Civics.

Ekteg2k

5+ Year Member
well the only problem is that there aren't any buddies around where i am that i can swap out the main relays. and no the pump wont prime at all. there is no sound or anything. im just pissed cause this is the new pump that wont work.

RonJ

Banned
Check for spark at the plugs. Click the spark link in my signature.

Does the CEL work?

Ekteg2k

5+ Year Member
okay ill check. but what would lack of spark have to do with the pump not priming

Ekteg2k

5+ Year Member
aiight thanks RonJ ill check that out asap and get back to ya.One more question. Why do you think replacing the pump worked before?

RonJ

Banned
One more question. Why do you think replacing the pump worked before?
More than likely, it didn't work. The problem was probably intermittent at that point, and you were fooled into thinking the problem was fixed. That's why troubleshooting rather than replacing parts somewhat at random is the best way to proceed.

DOES THE CEL WORK?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
aiight thanks RonJ ill check that out asap and get back to ya.One more question. Why do you think replacing the pump worked before?
its possible that the pump is not the thing that is failing

RonJ

Banned
Check for spark at the plugs. If you have bright white spark, then use a test light to check hood fuse 44 and dash fuses 31 and 13. Fuse 44 should have voltage at all times, fuse 31 should have power with the key in ON(III), and fuse 13 should have power with the key in ON(II). Click the Test Fuses link in my signature.

If the fuses are fine, then check voltage and ground at the fuel pump:

If this fine, then check the main relay located to the right of the glove box.

Ekteg2k

5+ Year Member
so i just went ahead and took my car to a shop and they told me that my dizzy was bad. so they replaced that. it wasn't getting spark. so RonJ you were right. he said it cranked and ran for 15 seconds and then it cut back off. any more ideas?

RonJ

Banned
Again, you don't want to guess what the problem is. You need to start gathering information about the problem. You don't need a mechanic to gather this information.

At this moment:

Does the starter crank the engine but it won't start?

Any CEL codes?

Does the fuel pump prime?

Is there spark at all four plugs?

Ekteg2k

5+ Year Member
Yes the starter cranks the engine but it wont start. No CEL codes. And the Fuel pump doesn't prime at all. It doesn't do anything when i turn the key to run. When i try to crank it it wan't to start but wont turn over. They replaced the dizzy because the plugs weren't getting any spark. but i dont think that has anything to do with the fuel pump to not prime.

RonJ

Banned
Does the CEL work? When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL turn on and then off after 2 seconds?

Okay, the fuel pump doesn't prime. Do you also lack spark at all four plugs? Click the Spark link in my signature.