Fuel tank capacity when "empty"

airasiv

This whole business of "how far can the car go when the low fuel light comes on" got me thinking:
With a tank capacity of 13.2 gallons, why I do only ever fill 11.5?

In my 2007 Civic 4-dr LX automatic, I have often driven it after the low fuel light comes on, and the fuel gauge bars fall to zero. But even at that stage, the maximum amount of fuel I have been able to fill it up with is 11.6 gallons. More often that not, the numbers are 11.53, 11.43, 11.38 etc.

So my question is: even when the fuel gauge shows empty and the light has been on for a while (10 miles or so), is there still about 1.5-1.7 gallons of fuel left? (On that I could go about 45 miles or so on a highway easily.)

Last edited by a moderator:

RonJ

Banned
What is the question?

Are you saying you want to run out of gas as soon as the gauge reads E? I like that the fact that this doesn't happen.

airasiv

I'm asking if about 11.5 gallons is the maximum that others are filling up as well. I would have thought that with the gauge showing completely empty AND after running the car a bit further even then, the tank would be emptier.

RonJ

Banned
I'm asking if about 11.5 gallons is the maximum that others are filling up as well. I would have thought that with the gauge showing completely empty AND after running the car a bit further even then, the tank would be emptier.
It's just a design that benefits rather than punishes procrastinators.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most cars have 1.5-2 gallons left in the tank after they hit "e" on the gauge. This is nothing new. My jetta has something like 2.2 gallons after the light comes on.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's just a design that benefits rather than punishes procrastinators.
This. Though my 'hey stupid!' light never worked to begin with. :lol:

Last edited:

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This. Though my 'hey stupid!' light worked to begin with. :lol:
Wait, is that light even supposed to work? I've managed to get 10.2 gallons in my EX (which is an 11.9gal tank IIRC), so when is that light supposed to come on?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wait, is that light even supposed to work? I've managed to get 10.2 gallons in my EX (which is an 11.9gal tank IIRC), so when is that light supposed to come on?
Whoops, I meant never worked to begin with! My bad :smackself:

Sooo yeah, I couldn't tell you when it's supposed to come on, haha.

RonJ

Banned
At 1-2 gallons left.

My light begins to flicker at around 2 gallons left and stay on steady at about 1 gallon left.

sph120@aol.com

you have 2 gallons reserve left i have drove for a while with light on as well to see .There is about 40 miles left till empty would not suggest as could ruin the motor.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is about 40 miles left till empty would not suggest as could ruin the motor.
lol. How so? Most I could see happening is that the fuel pump sucks up some crud from the bottom of the tank in an older car. The clog could cause the pump to fail, but I have never in my 20+ years working on cars ever heard of an engine failing on account of it running out of gas.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol. How so? Most I could see happening is that the fuel pump sucks up some crud from the bottom of the tank in an older car. The clog could cause the pump to fail, but I have never in my 20+ years working on cars ever heard of an engine failing on account of it running out of gas.
I'm sure it IS possible though. Clogged fuel line could cause the motor to lean out and detonate I suppose. It could definitely ruin a diesel engine though...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is a legal regulation stating the Low Fuel Light must go on with either a minimum 1.5 gallon reserve or enough to drive at least 50 miles. One of these reasons is why it varies according to the vehicle. Hence trucks with likely have at least 3 gallons remaining.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm sure it IS possible though. Clogged fuel line could cause the motor to lean out and detonate I suppose. It could definitely ruin a diesel engine though...
Hypothetically, I guess. I can go with that as a huge plausible. Still never heard of it, especially not on a newer vehicle that has sensors for that sort of thing and a screen on the pump to stop small bits of gunk to suck up.

Now there is a huge risk of the pump overheating because the new ones sit in the gasoline to stay cool. When they are running without sitting in the fuel to stay low on temp, they can overheat.

As far as diesel goes, the older ones didn't have a release valve to release the pressure built up from the "air lock" that is basically created when it is run out of fuel. The new ones have release valves up by the fuel filter that you pump to let the pressure out and to re-prime the engine. Not really damaging to the engine from what I have experienced, but a pain in the ass on the older ones because you have to take it in to release the pressure and re-prime if you don't have the means to. Ask me how I know...:oops:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sure, long as I know I can count on you to bring a gas can. Course, my commute starts at four in the morning. Hope that won't be a problem for ya!
:rolf: