Full suspension set-up ques??

Ag00Civic

5+ Year Member
Ok so I do realize that it doesn't matter how much suspension stuff you install on your car, the best thing for tracion is tires...now that that is established...It's income tax time and I want to go all out on the suspension for my civic. I can't slam it because of the area I live in however this is what I am thinking...

Eiback ProKit
KYB GR2/Tokico Blue/Koni Red shocks
Eiback Anti-Roll Kit...unless you guess recommend OBX or ST...?
Blox F/R Camber kit...it's cheaper and does the same thing as Skunk2
Omni Control Arms...just cause.
Energy Suspension... comments welcome on install and ride.
Strut Bars F/R.

Is this overload...are some components unnessecary with the installation of others... I have the SI front strut bar and rear sway bar installed already and I don't really notice a difference, granted I am on factory spring/shock. Also if there are other items that are recommended.

Also if there is a listing over on tech that reveals all of this I'd be happy to look at it myself if anyone already knows there is one.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are you trying to get out of the car? Is it daily driven? Etc. etc.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'd suggest at least kyb agx's or tokico illuminas shocks. Eibach springs should sit well with either shock.

The eibach anti roll kit is worth less, our ej's have enough understeer as is, stick with your stock 22mm front sway and pick up a m-factory 19mm rear sway setup. It comes with the 19mm rear sway bar, endlinks, bolts/nuts, and (very important if your planning to run a big sway in the rear) subframe brace. M-factory's setup looks a bit ricey but a little spray paint will make it look 10x better ($190shipped, i'm planning to pick one up soon). You can also choose to go all out with the ASR brace with a OEM ITR/CTR 21-23mm rear sway ($300+ for total setup)

Just from my experience (especially riding slammed, roughly 2.5inchs all around) a camber kit will def. help. Many say all you need is a alignment, which is true but still a alignment isn't enough. Then again in your case, you wont be riding too low so you can get away with out one. Blox has a good setup and i haven't heard anything bad about there camber kits. I have the sk2 camber kit and its held up for 3 years now...(knock on wood)

LCA's? NO...dont waste your money on them unless you have extra money laying around. Most aftermarket LCA's have been known to have weak bushings. The only LCA's i've seen which has held up is sk2's.

Energy suspension bushings are a nice touch, but maybe a pain to install. I'd do it if i had the time and money.

Struts are all pref. you can go with the $200+ password 3 point front struts, which have been proven to work or use the ebay struts. I'm using the ebay front/rear tower bars and they seem to do the job. There is somewhat of a difference but its not anything drastic. I got them both free so why complain....

*Keep in mind that handling isn't just about bars, its mainly based on spring rates and quality of shocks

ryanM

f**k spring/shock setups. get REAL coilovers + ASR brace+ITR sway bar

the rest doesnt matter.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id like to hear peoples input as well. i am getting full coilovers in the spring but i want to do a swaybar. strut bars and an hbrace with engine damper in the meantime. i already have 205 tires so i am cool with that.

Ag00Civic

5+ Year Member
Ya but coilovers are gay to adjust. I hate the twin fork crap.
Why is the rear sway more important than the front?
I'll prolly go KYB AGX again.

The car is daily driven yes.
Ya I think the Energy Suspension will be quite the task to tackle and seeing as how it's my daily driver it'd be a b**** to install.

ryanM

Ya I think the Energy Suspension will be quite the task to tackle and seeing as how it's my daily driver it'd be a b**** to install.
why? because civics have a front sway bar that is PLENTY sufficient... but they dont have a rear bar at all....

coilovers > *

adjustability is awesome...just get quality s**t..

Ag00Civic

5+ Year Member
Well I'm not gonna buy cheap crap...
I have the SI rear sway bar on it now...

Any suggestions on a coilover kit? I checked out that new Skunk2 and thats too deep for my pockets.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

coilovers are a b***h to adjust but overall they are a better setup than a spring/shock combo. I can say almost any high end full coilover setup will out perform any high end spring/shock combo.

The rear sway keeps you stable through corners since our rear ends aren't stiff enough. I take my car to canyons from time to time (running 10k/8k spring rates) and after i put on a gsr 14mm rear sway, it made a worlds of a difference. But like i stated above spring rates are very important in improving handling

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eiback ProKit - Good if your looking for a .5-1.5(?) drop. Not noticeable on 185/65-14" tires/wheels.
KYB GR2/Tokico Blue/Koni Red shocks - All stock replacements right? Adjustability is nice to have.
Eiback Anti-Roll Kit...unless you guess recommend OBX or ST...? - I believe the eibach sway is same size as an Si.
Blox F/R Camber kit...it's cheaper and does the same thing as Skunk2 - Better than nothing.
Omni Control Arms...just cause. - if you got a R sway you wont need these
Energy Suspension... comments welcome on install and ride. - its like putting motor mount bushings on a street car. I'd just replace them with OEM.
Strut Bars F/R. - eh

Coilovers=good/super stiff. Probably not the best thing if its a DD unless your looking for that.
My :twocents:

stince

Banned
my input.

Get Groundcontrol/Koni Yellows or PIC or Form Function Type II's

I'm looking at either one of those

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so I do realize that it doesn't matter how much suspension stuff you install on your car, the best thing for tracion is tires...now that that is established...It's income tax time and I want to go all out on the suspension for my civic. I can't slam it because of the area I live in however this is what I am thinking...

Eiback ProKit
KYB GR2/Tokico Blue/Koni Red shocks
Eiback Anti-Roll Kit...unless you guess recommend OBX or ST...?
Blox F/R Camber kit...it's cheaper and does the same thing as Skunk2
Omni Control Arms...just cause.
Energy Suspension... comments welcome on install and ride.
Strut Bars F/R.

Is this overload...are some components unnessecary with the installation of others... I have the SI front strut bar and rear sway bar installed already and I don't really notice a difference, granted I am on factory spring/shock. Also if there are other items that are recommended.

Also if there is a listing over on tech that reveals all of this I'd be happy to look at it myself if anyone already knows there is one.
coilovers will do u much better in the long run. adjustability is a huge plus. the list u have isnt bad, just u can get better results with less for cheaper.

-the Eibach Prokit isnt very agressive. spring rates of 290/190...soft and u'll be plowing thru turns(understeer).
-of the mentioned shocks, the Koni Red's would probably be ur best bet. I ran the Tokicos for a lil while and they arnt bad. I run Koni Yellows now and just from personal use and fromwhat i've seen for their r&d, Koni would be a better choice.
-scratch the swaybar kit. dont upgrade the front sway and get a nice big rear sway. i'd recommed the Beaks 22mm rear sway kit if u dont want to completely break the bank.
-the blox camber isnt bad. u dont really need the rear kit, shims work fine for correcting the rear camber. for the front camber kit, i'd recommend chaning the hardware to grade8 or higher. same with the skunk2 kit, i've heard many bad stories of bolts/nuts breaking/backing out.
-u already have endlink holes in ur RLCA's, the Omni's would be pretty pointless. upgrade the bushings...which brings me to the ES.
-Energy Suspension products are great. i have many of their bushings on my car including the motor mount sets, front swaybar endlinks, front swaybar bushings, front LCA bushings, etc...great quality and sure have made a positive difference. like mentioned above, just keep ur RLCA's and replace the bushings with ES and u'll be fine.
-strut bars arnt really as important. those cheap ones on ebay work fine but the solid mount ones are best(no pivot joints).

as for coilovers, i'd recommened Koni/GC combo, PIC, and Tein. pretty cheap and top notch quality products.

ryanM

my input.

Get Groundcontrol/Koni Yellows or PIC or Form Function Type II's

I'm looking at either one of those
i dont understand this, you are considering one really good options, and two shitty ones, and you cant make up your mind?

coilovers will do u much better in the long run. adjustability is a huge plus. the list u have isnt bad, just u can get better results with less for cheaper.

-the Eibach Prokit isnt very agressive. spring rates of 290/190...soft and u'll be plowing thru turns(understeer).
-of the mentioned shocks, the Koni Red's would probably be ur best bet. I ran the Tokicos for a lil while and they arnt bad. I run Koni Yellows now and just from personal use and fromwhat i've seen for their r&d, Koni would be a better choice.
-scratch the swaybar kit. dont upgrade the front sway and get a nice big rear sway. i'd recommed the Beaks 22mm rear sway kit if u dont want to completely break the bank.
-the blox camber isnt bad. u dont really need the rear kit, shims work fine for correcting the rear camber. for the front camber kit, i'd recommend chaning the hardware to grade8 or higher. same with the skunk2 kit, i've heard many bad stories of bolts/nuts breaking/backing out.
-u already have endlink holes in ur RLCA's, the Omni's would be pretty pointless. upgrade the bushings...which brings me to the ES.
-Energy Suspension products are great. i have many of their bushings on my car including the motor mount sets, front swaybar endlinks, front swaybar bushings, front LCA bushings, etc...great quality and sure have made a positive difference. like mentioned above, just keep ur RLCA's and replace the bushings with ES and u'll be fine.
-strut bars arnt really as important. those cheap ones on ebay work fine but the solid mount ones are best(no pivot joints).

as for coilovers, i'd recommened Koni/GC combo, PIC, and Tein. pretty cheap and top notch quality products.
i didnt read your whole post, but i got through your first two lines, and all i have to say is no....softer spring rates WONT cause understeer, nor will stiffer ones reduce it...

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont understand this, you are considering one really good options, and two shitty ones, and you cant make up your mind?

i didnt read your whole post, but i got through your first two lines, and all i have to say is no....softer spring rates WONT cause understeer, nor will stiffer ones reduce it...
i didnt say soft spring rates did, just saying they arnt agressive spring rates. the way the spring rates are setup will tho. higher rates in the front than the rear are a no-no for turning. i currently run 450/550 rates with 22mm rear sway, oversteers a good amount. will be going to to 700/800 rates at the end of this race season and possibly larger rear sway. many road racers run almost 200 in/lb higher rear springs than their front to get the car to rotate.

stince

Banned
how are those shitty options?

F/F Type II's are very good. Alot of good reviews.

Koni/GC are probably the best setup for under 800$