gas fumes thru the heater vents..

1993hatch

5+ Year Member
Most likely an exhaust leak. My friend had the same problem in his hatch. His header cracked and it smelt HELLLLLA bad!

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You could be leaking oil around the valve cover and the oil burns off the hot engine block/exhaust manifold, smells similiar to a gas leak.

emerican

Registered VIP
Check for an oil leak first is what i would do, because if its getting burned off on the manifold or other places you will smell it in the car.
I had to smell wd40 in my car all day one day from it getting burned off on the manifold

RonJ

Banned
Did you recently do any work on the fuel lines? Check the fuel filter and fuel rail connections. Also check the EVAP canister and its hoses.

joseanspot

all i did recently to it its the intake manifold, and even b4 dat the smell was getting thru. and im preetysure i dont have a leak of oil.... If the manifold has a leak or the gasket is old would that cause the smell getting in the car.??????

bones420

5+ Year Member
replace your cabin air filter that will help the smell, but not the problem if there is one.
it should be behind your glovebox. I had same problem, I took them out and they were
damn near black lol but no more exhaust or gas smell.

amaestre32

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
replace your cabin air filter that will help the smell, but not the problem if there is one.
it should be behind your glovebox. I had same problem, I took them out and they were
damn near black lol but no more exhaust or gas smell.
is their an air filter in the 91 hatch?

bones420

5+ Year Member
Im not sure, but in the 02 model there is two. drop the glove box and see, or use Google
it's your friend.

amaestre32

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Didn't know that, I don't think their is in the hatch because i've taken the glove box out so many times, i'm sure i would of seen it and looked at it, unless it's behind the A/C blower motor housing..

dorcus

Old f**ker
5+ Year Member
My car used to have this problem, my catalytic converter was bad and my exhaust manifold was cracked. I redid my whole exhaust and the problem went away. Not saying that's your problem, but that's what happened to my car.

joseanspot

y smell exhaust but i think is because my headers is cracked and the gasket is gone.. u think itmight be that...