Gas in my oil?

KyoCivic98

5+ Year Member
Hello,

So i swapped my VC last night and i noticed immediately after taking it off, that the oil smelled heavily of gasoline.

I checked the dipstick and the oil is really thin and runny, and the stick reads over the full dot.

Just wondering what could cause this, and how to fix it.

If anybody has any experience with this kinda thing, please let me know.

Thanks.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fuel injector seals

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fuel injector seals
thats impossible, the fuel would just leak into the intake manifold then, and then into the head, or down the side of the head/block.

OP have you actually drained the oil? Does it look like it basically has water in it? Gasoline is lighter then the oil, so you should see it floating on the top of whatever you drain it into.

But you do know gasoline does come from oil.... right?

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually, trace amounts of fuel get into the oil under normal circumstances. The reason is that, even though the piston rings seal against the cylinder walls nearly completely, the seal is not perfect, and trace amounts of fuel will escape past the pistons and get into the oil that is below the piston, thus mixing with the oil. Under normal circumstances, this is a minute amount that, if you change your oil regularly, will never cause a problem.

There can also be extreme situations where large amounts of fuel can get into the oil. This is caused when there is a problem, such as a stuck fuel injector, an inoperative ignition system, or a fuel flooded engine, where the cylinders are overwhelmed by fuel, and the piston rings become unseated from the cylinder walls, and there is a breech that allows larger amounts of fuel past, into the oil below. If this happens, once the problem is repaired, the oil needs to be changed.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
saying that an ls with b16 tranny will walk all over SI's and GSR's. i know it wont. thats my setup. im pretty sure he would notice any of those scenarios you just posted long before he swapped a valvecover. the car would run shitty if that much fuel was being dumped into one cylinder

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
saying that an ls with b16 tranny will walk all over SI's and GSR's. i know it wont. thats my setup. im pretty sure he would notice any of those scenarios you just posted long before he swapped a valvecover. the car would run shitty if that much fuel was being dumped into one cylinder
when i was NA..my ls with b16 tranny in a coupe was able to beat hatches with SI/GSR swaps so im going with him on that argument

KyoCivic98

5+ Year Member
Actually, trace amounts of fuel get into the oil under normal circumstances. The reason is that, even though the piston rings seal against the cylinder walls nearly completely, the seal is not perfect, and trace amounts of fuel will escape past the pistons and get into the oil that is below the piston, thus mixing with the oil. Under normal circumstances, this is a minute amount that, if you change your oil regularly, will never cause a problem.

There can also be extreme situations where large amounts of fuel can get into the oil. This is caused when there is a problem, such as a stuck fuel injector, an inoperative ignition system, or a fuel flooded engine, where the cylinders are overwhelmed by fuel, and the piston rings become unseated from the cylinder walls, and there is a breech that allows larger amounts of fuel past, into the oil below. If this happens, once the problem is repaired, the oil needs to be changed.
No i have not drained the oil, as i just noticed this last night.

There is quite a bit of gas in the oil pan, it is dripping off the dipstick with the oil as im pulling it out.

Im not really sure what a stuck injector would be.. i have stock ignition.

I was told that FOR SURE it was the piston rings, and to get those replaced, but i really have no idea.

Also the car is burning oil pretty quick, and smoking pretty badly, and the vavles are ticking pretty loud.

I just have a lot of problems =/

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its all in the driver. i raced an integra GSR and beat him pretty bad off the line and he still came around me. some setups just pull harder than others i suppose

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its all in the driver. i raced an integra GSR and beat him pretty bad off the line and he still came around me. some setups just pull harder than others i suppose
what car u got??

reread what i put on the other thread,it depend because weight ratio.
or u just a bad driver lol