Gas Mileage + power?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i sprayed a d16y8 for YEARS.. put over 1000lbs of nitrous through it.. ran one step colder plugs.. and only used premium gas, never really had an issue.. blew up a couple trannys but the motor held...

if you do turbo, super charger, OR nitrous improperly you WILL blow the motor, if you get greedy and try to push too much power through the motor you WILL blow it up...

a mild shot of nitrous is no more dangerous than low boost.. the advantage to nitrous is as you drive the car around normally you can retain a very stock streetable car...

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a mild shot of nitrous is no more dangerous than low boost.. the advantage to nitrous is as you drive the car around normally you can retain a very stock streetable car...
:word:

Spray's only at WOT, so whenever you're not on it... you're pretty much driving the car with a stock motor.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i sprayed a d16y8 for YEARS.. put over 1000lbs of nitrous through it.. ran one step colder plugs.. and only used premium gas, never really had an issue.. blew up a couple trannys but the motor held...

:word:

Don't underestimate what a little spray and a little skill can do for you; I was taking on poorly-driven ITR's at my local track's 1/8th mile and coming out ahead on my wimpy, economy-model d16y8.

The only issue I ran up against after spraying a 35-shot on my 175,000 mile engine for a few years was a chatter-y input shaft bearing in my transmission. (part's sitting in my garage awaiting replacement)

I had a remote bottle open and heater switch wired up to my dash in a custom-built panel (for a clean stock look), and even wired the "spray" button (the solenoid-activating current source, in series with a safety switch) up to my VTEC solenoid for a seamless, hands-free spraying experience whenever I stomped on it. Loved every second of it.

200 bucks for the whole package. Some of the most fun money I've ever spent on my civic. Goin' right back in there once I change my timing belt, throw a new clutch on there, swap out my leaky rear main seal, and fix that pesky input shaft bearing.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if i rebuild my engine with the Eagle rods, Vitara pistons, and ARP head studs. you saying that people are getting 250-300 with that and turbo right? but even so. i don't need that much power. it is my daily driver. and will it still matter if i have 200,000 miles on it? (sorry if it is a stupid question but i haven't done my research yet. you guys are too fast for me) thanks for the help
If you build your engine with just those components, it's almost overkill if you just shoot for 200 whp or so, be it with turbocharging, supercharging, or nitrous. You probably won't blow your stock motor if you're shooting for that much or under, but with the amount of miles already on it, I'd recommend building.

One thing to do before putting ANY method of forced induction on your engine is a compression test. I cannot stress enough the importance of this. A compression test will reveal the general health of a motor. If the compression test comes up with bad results, don't boost the motor.

One idea, which I'm not sure anyone has mentioned, is picking up a lower mileage Y8 for $400-500. Of course, do the compression test first on your motor, to see generally how healthy it is.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
suscribed.
all the info needed for f/i is all in here :cool:
Hate to break it to you, but we've only covered the very basics. Anyone considering forced induction that wants to do it themselves will need a LOT more info than this.

This thread might, however, be effective in helping someone choose which path of forced induction to follow. I feel that supercharging has been rather unrepresented, however.