Gas tank replacement… any tips?

thefox

5+ Year Member
I need to replace the tank on my ’90 LX how hard of a job is it? From the looks of things the hardest part will be jacking the car up high enough. Is there anything else I should order and replace while it is out? I will order the tank (metal or plastic?) and straps but what about the fuel line or fuel pump?

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's not hard at all to replace your tank. But as far as replacing other things, I would first check your hoses/lines to make sure they're still good. Fuel pump...umm, why? if it's good what would be the point? Unless you're planning on doing tons of upgrades later on the motor, then yes, fuel pump (go with walbro)

Excavator Nut

5+ Year Member
Just replaced fuel pump and learned a good lesson put everything back the same way you take it of, a tip use a wind up jack with a 2by under the tank, 12 mm deep well socket, pull left rear tire 10mm socket for gas tank shroud

petercross

4th Gen Civic Curator
5+ Year Member
It's not hard at all to replace your tank. But as far as replacing other things, I would first check your hoses/lines to make sure they're still good. Fuel pump...umm, why? if it's good what would be the point? Unless you're planning on doing tons of upgrades later on the motor, then yes, fuel pump (go with walbro)
Hey jokenfu!

Love that pic on your avatar! Any other pics for your ride?

Thanks!

thefox

5+ Year Member
It sounds like the hardest part will be crawling under it. I just ordered the tank; straps and a fuel filter from Advanced Auto today ($175) and should have it in time for the weekend.