Gas

Lucas Mast

Will it hurt my car in any way if I put higher octane in my car? Say like mid-grade (87) or premium (92)?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Understand that higher octanes mean the gas needs a higher temperature to combust at spark in the cylinders. Higher octanes in a Car designed for regular gas will only burn well if you run up your engines operating temperature, meaning you intend to drive hard for long periods of time. Otherwise, standard driving wont allow the fuel to combust at its needed temperature. Thus impeded performance and more uncombusted fuel going into your exhaust. Hence why a certain fuel is recommended but others will do if need be.

If you're considering higher octane for the sake of cleaning out the fuel system, its best to go with a fuel additive.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It won't hurt it, but it absolutely won't give you any benefit. No power, no increased mileage. Your car was built to run the lower stuff. Honestly, putting higher octane in a car not designed for it is like throwing money away. Now if you got the gas for free, then go for it.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Understand that higher octanes mean the gas needs a higher tempurature to combust at spark in the cylinders. Higher octanes in a Car designed for regular gas will only burn well if you run up your engines operating tempurature, meaning you intend to drive hard for long periods of time. Otherwise, standard driving wont allow the fuel to combust at its needed tempurature. Thus impeded performance and more uncombusted fuel going into your exhaust. Hence why a certain fuel is recommended but others will do if need be.

If youre considering higher octane for the sake of cleaning out the fuel system, its best to go with a fuel additive.
HeX is a gas/gas mileage GOD. :cool:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HeX is a gas/gas mileage GOD. :cool:
Lol. I wouldnt say god. Demi-god maybe. Ive just done my research once I bought my HX. Thanks for the compliment though.

Last edited:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great detailed explanation

Hence why higher compression needs higher octane.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your motor is turboed or spraying, a higher octane is better.