Gasket leaking?

Tmak

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was cleaning my engine the other day and I noticed some grease/oil on the tranny.. and a little bit just under the valve cover. Could the gasket be leaking? I check my oil and after 10,000km's my oil went down about 1/5 the amount. I'm running Amsoil 5W30.

I'd like to replace the gasket myself, but I've heard of people snapping the bolts when tightening the valve cover bolts.

civicracing98

im a cc whore :/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my sisters husband did his himself on his integra but as for a civic and the stories ive heard, let it in the hands of a pro

especko

the reborn ESP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tmak said:
I'd like to replace the gasket myself, but I've heard of people snapping the bolts when tightening the valve cover bolts.

thats because they are rather brittle bolts, people overtighten them all the time and are not careful with them, just gotta be patient with the bolt and then remember not to overtighten, i have never had a problem with them, but things do break so dont get mad if it happens, it happens to everyone at some point in time

steve8091

Blanned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This should be a simple fix. Hell, I took off my valve cover just to paint it, and had no such problems with the bolts. Just set your torque wrench to the proper tightening specs and go at it.

especko

the reborn ESP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea get a torque wrench if u have one i think the specs are something like 7 ft lbs or something arent they, but if u dont have a torque wrench then a normal wrench would work and just tighten then by hand and dont overdo it