Gasoline

POQbum

5+ Year Member
Out of the 2001 - 2005 models, the EX can run both 87 and 89 - doesn't make much difference which one you use though.

The LX uses 89 only. Using 87 your car will be sluggish and will cause the engine to knock.

If all else fails..read your owners manual!

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
91 octane and 15-50 mobil 1. Yes this is a heavy oil but I have my reasons... By the way there are no problems and the car runs smoother than if you were to put the watery 5-20 in it; I don't believe in watery oils. I'm one of those guys who believes that maybe two different weights of oil will work in any car no matter what. 91 octane fuel will make any car run better no matter what octane they are "meant" to run at; it is just a better mixture of fuel. Also you never know what you might find in the cheap stuff (watered down gas, dirt, etc.)... I think the companies mainly say to use lighter oils because they run more efficiently...

stoney13

5+ Year Member
wait. so do u get better mpgs with a higher octane fuel like 91 or does it just make your car run better cause its a better mixture of gas.

cause i know if u put higher octane gas it gives you more hp, maybe not in a D17a2, but in say a K20 then I would think so.

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
wait. so do u get better mpgs with a higher octane fuel like 91 or does it just make your car run better cause its a better mixture of gas.

cause i know if u put higher octane gas it gives you more hp, maybe not in a D17a2, but in say a K20 then I would think so.
It just doesnt run as shitty. Now if you were to put like airplane fuel in a car, for example, you are going to feel a difference in power but not gas mileage... It may give more power with 91, but never enough to notice any difference in pull when you mash the gas like you would with high octane airplane fuel (maybe 99-103 octane, maybe more). I don't really know about plane fuel too much but i know its high f**king octane.

Feeding your car 87 octane is like feeding us Mcdonalds french fries. We feel shitty and dehydrated. Well thats kinda how your cars gonna feel. I've know some of my boss' porche customers go to our local private airport every once in a while to fill up. I bet it's expensive but I bet they go like hell!

I doubt you get better gas mileage with better grade fuel. Maybe a miniscule amount.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
For you to go from 87 to 89 octane, your car does run slightly better. You might notice a couple extra miles per tank. You WONT notice any power. A car WILL create a larger combustion when run on higher octane gas, but to run high enough octane gas for you to notice it, you would have to put higher compression pistons in your car so that you dont have a misfire. Bottom line, you can put 93 octane from the pump in your car, you will get a couple extra miles per tank, wont make your car any faster. You want a fast car, do a K-swap or slap a snail on your motor.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
91 octane and 15-50 mobil 1. Yes this is a heavy oil but I have my reasons...
The reasons being you're oblivious to the way Honda engineers their engines so you think it's OK.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have an 05 EX (coupe - d17a2)...

87 Octane + Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic 5w-30 High mileage

She runs like a champ!

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i put 89 octane since it was new, i dont care what anyone thinks. :D

and i use mobil1 full synthetic 5w20 + mobil1 oil filter

She runs better than a "champ!" lol

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So then put what the manual says in your car :what: Im sorry, you are not going to notice anything from 87 to 89 octane.
:word:

Don't waste your $ higher octane then is recommended can sometimes hurt yoru car. Low grade unless your car says premium on the inide lid.../thread.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i put 89 octane since it was new, i dont care what anyone thinks. :D

and i use mobil1 full synthetic 5w20 + mobil1 oil filter

She runs better than a "champ!" lol
My car is still faster! ;P

:word:

Don't waste your $ higher octane then is recommended can sometimes hurt yoru car. Low grade unless your car says premium on the inide lid.../thread.
^This...

Omegastorm

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I run regular fo normal day to day driving and plus or better for highway and long trips, i use castrol syntec, ive used lucas but mainly stuck with Berrymans B12 chemtool, kept my teg, tahoe , grand prix and civic running smooth, oh yeah and my EX Accord

Shane~o~What

Certified Monkey Trainer
5+ Year Member
I know I'll get s**t for this as I didn't believe it either. Until 3 or more gas station owners confirmed it. Cheap gas is NOT any lower quality then any premium. Yes the burn is slightly different but it is not dirty, watered down, etc. Every single gas company starts with the exact same 86 octane for all there fuels. The reason being is there are many pipelines in the U.S. that supply all the depots. They simply pour it in barrel by barrel, and it is all mixed together. Then the gas companies pick it up, and add additives to it to make it 87,89,91, etc. I'm not saying that 91 wont help, just stating that you are getting the same amount of dirt and water with any of them. Just wanted to take the 'cheap' gas part out of the discusion. It's all the same, some just have octane boosters and detergents in them.