Gauge cluster lights not working

D_Dziekonski

So the other day i was driving home at around 12:30 at night hit a bump and my cluster went black. At first i thought ok lets go check the fuse. That wasnt it. Then i checked the dimmer switch... nothing. Hooked up an ohm meter to the fuse, and to the plug in to the cluster and there was current... so i ruled out anything in between. I have a parts car so i switched out the clusters and still didnt work, im not sure where to go from here... relay type thing that i dont know if/where that would be? Or under the hood fuse box? Im out of ideas please help

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How did you check the dimmer switch?

D_Dziekonski

I used a volt meter to check but i even switched it from the parts car i think its before the fuse box because i have current flowing all the way from the fuse to the cluster... thats why i gave up and posted on here maybe someone else had this kind of problem

D_Dziekonski

Yea i tried with lights on, it was fuse 30 on the inside box im pretty sure its the 4th or 5th one on the bottom row its a 7.5 fuse... also im not sure if it even helps at all but i have a check engine light and air bag light that were previously on which are still lit up and all the other lights work except the ones that light up the rpm, speedo, gas/oil temp... my gauges also work its just the lights

D_Dziekonski

No i have nothing from any of the 3 wires from the dimmer (i just wasnt 100% sure which wire to check) i also checked if i was getting any power to the fuse with the lights turned on and it was also dead.

D_Dziekonski

Ok sounds good its getting late so ill try tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thank you for your help.

D_Dziekonski

Ok so i just checked the white wire its good. Also double checked both tabs on the fuse no power. The thing i noticed is that when i ohm tested the switch only 2 of the prongs were getting current. When i get home im gonna switch it to see if that does it.

D_Dziekonski

Ok well just tried testing it thoroughly its all good, but still switched it from the parts car and nothing. Im not sure what i should check now, maybe (not sure if it even exists) there is a relay for the lights? I will just rewire it myself if something, but i will only do that if there are no other options. Another thing i noticed is that if i leave the lights on without the keys it doesnt make that noise to tell me my lights are on.

D_Dziekonski

The tests i did were on the light switch, following the diagram above they were all ohm tested and they all read that they were working. I also tried fitting in the switch into the parts car to see if it would work and it did so it is not the switch. And i dont get that annoying beep when i leave the lights on with the key out, and i always had it before my dash lights stopped working. Not sure if its because the actual part that senses the lights are in the dash, or maybe it has something to do with the problem? Should i try switching out the cluster maybe some kind of failure in it? But i ohm tested the cluster and it all seems to be working so i ruled that out but maybe still could have a failure.

D_Dziekonski

Yes the parking lights and tails work. I really hope but highly doubt its a fusebox problem, i will try changing the dash tomorrow tho kind of running out of options now. Im also going to check the wire before the fuse box the car is old now so could have a split or something.

D_Dziekonski

Ok well thank you very much for your help i will let you know how that goes when i get the time to fix it. At least i know what it has to be now lol