Gauge Cluster messing up

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My tach, gas gauge, and engine temp are all working fine. My trip meter seems to be turning too fast and my odometer seems to be turning too slow. My speedo is bouncing around everywhere. Car is a 2000 Civic EX. What do you guys think it is? VSS? Bad cluster? Thanks CC!

RonJ

Banned
Is the CEL on? Is 7.5A dash fuse 15 blown?

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
RonJ, you are the man. Replaced that fuse and it was working but I went over some train tracks and it went out agaiin, do I replace the fuse again or what?

RonJ

Banned
If you install another 7.5A fuse, it will likely blow again, but go ahead and give it a try.

You obviously have a short. The common fuse 15 problem (click link in my signature) is not supposed to apply to 00 Civics, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Have you recently done any work in or around the alternator, VSS, hood fuse box, EVAP purge valve, or O2 sensors? The common link of these components is that they get power on a Blk/Wht wire protected by fuse 15.

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Replaced the alternator not even a week ago, think when this guy lengthened my o2 sensor he did like a complete hack job. I'm gonna try to straighten out the o2 sensor tomorrow. You think I need a new vss? I'm just tired of guessing problems and wasting money like I did with the alternator.