gauge question

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
So I want to make my stock gauges and tach do the same things that the sti's do, when u trun the key they calibrate themselves and bounce all the way up and drop back down. Is there any manufacturing company or any way to wire them so they do this? Basically just like the way they look.

techavluis

Registered VIP
So I want to make my stock gauges and tach do the same things that the sti's do, when u trun the key they calibrate themselves and bounce all the way up and drop back down. Is there any manufacturing company or any way to wire them so they do this? Basically just like the way they look.

if there is, i want in on it!

xWIREMANx

Something like that could be done or should I say simulated. Electronic signals could be used and sent to each gauge telling it to do that. This would be very complicated for someone without experiance in electronics. It would be hard for me to do even so I won't get into the detals of where to even start.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
Lol alright maybe ill see if I can find someone who knows a lot about subaru and see if they know exactly what makes the gauges do that and see if its possible to do it to any type of gauges with the right wiring and what not cause I've seen aftermarket volt pressure gauges like that do it and I want it! Lo

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Yeah, it's a self check/calibration system. In the Subaru's, I'm pretty sure that the self check is done by the ECU. In the aftermarket gauges, it's controlled by either the processor in the gauge itself or the gauge interface system.

It would be cheaper to have a system that sweeps from low to high voltage making the magnetic motors that move your gauge needles think that they are getting readings (therefore sweeping your needles) upon startup, simulating the Sti system.

L.D.Forget

it is the ecu in the subbys, but its also because all of the gauges are electrical, and none are mechanical.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
Alright so basically its gotta have a power sent to them and make them do that when u turn the key on? Any idea how to even go about doing this?

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
You can use what's called an electronic time delay switch. Have it hooked to the Start position of your car. Have it send power to all your gauge input signal wires for the gauge assembly and you're set. When you start your car, the time delay switch will hold the power for a couple seconds after the car has started and then will do the sweep.

You're gonna need a couple different things so that the current steadily rises so the needles don't just jump to max readings and what not, but this should start you off in the right direction.