GC/Koni spring rates question.

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi. So I was going to order the set yesterday but I was wondering if I can get custom spring rates when buying from the CC store or are they set on the rates for your car?
I PM'ed Jay Jay, since he's with Tunersport but haven't got a response yet.
Let me know please. Thanks.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should be able to get custom ones...

Nice choice on set up btw :thumbs up

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks =)
Yeah Jay Jay got back to me and no they cant get custom rates, the rates for our cars are 350 front and 250 rear.
But the CC store has the best price, especially with the sale going on this month, I've looked around yesterday and haven't found anyone selling for less so take advantage of that people!
And these rates aren't too bad for my daily so I'm getting it =)

chinkyeyedemcee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your going low those are too soft fyi

and you should be able to order custom spring rates cause they are two separate items, i know weksos gives you the option

dsprimal

Banned
while were on the topic of GC/Koni yellows. What is the difference between adjusting the actual shock compared to adjusting the coil over sleeves? do you have to adjust both? or can u just slap on the konis and set the GC's to a set height? idk how the whole adjusting thing works out once their installed. i'm guessing you'd want to adjust the konis prior to installation?

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe you can adjust the shocks anytime it just adjusts the amount of dampening like softer or harder response. To adjust the spring height you'd need the wheels off the ground.

dsprimal

Banned
I believe you can adjust the shocks anytime it just adjusts the amount of dampening like softer or harder response. To adjust the spring height you'd need the wheels off the ground.
thanks! with that being said, adjusting the shocks from soft/medium/hardest what would be best for daily driving? and occasional speeding? ^^

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
while were on the topic of GC/Koni yellows. What is the difference between adjusting the actual shock compared to adjusting the coil over sleeves? do you have to adjust both? or can u just slap on the konis and set the GC's to a set height? idk how the whole adjusting thing works out once their installed. i'm guessing you'd want to adjust the konis prior to installation?
Adjusting the shocks is completely seperate from adjusting the coilovers. You adjust the Koni's with a little knob at the very top of the shock. So to adjust the front shocks, just pop the hood and turn the knob. For the rear, pop the trunk and adjust the rear. Some shocks like the KYB AGX have the adjustment on the shock body making it a real pain to adjust quickly/easily.

As for the coilovers, they simply adjust the height of your car. You have to jack the car up, some cases take the wheel off, and spin the spring perch to raise or lower the height on each corner.

The Koni's are rebound adjustable. A lot of people think that adjusting the shocks to their stiffest setting will magically make their car handle worlds better but this isn't true. You are not reducing body roll or anything like that. You are changing the rate at which the shock controls the movement in your suspension. Allowing for more or less control and grip during cornering and even while driving straight when you hit bumps. In some cases you're only making your car handle worse by reducing grip.

thanks! with that being said, adjusting the shocks from soft/medium/hardest what would be best for daily driving? and occasional speeding? ^^
It depends on your spring rate, the road conditions, tires, other suspension modifications, driving style, blah blah. Best bet for a simple daily driver would be to play around with the settings, front and rear independently, until you find something that is comfortable for your typical driving and streets you frequent. Not too low and not too high of a setting that you feel the suspension has the most control when driving through rough roads.

Also remember with coilovers that if you make any height adjustments after you've had an alignment done, you'll need to re-align your car. It isn't as simple as playing with the height whenever you feel like it and drive. You'll eat your tires up and your car won't handle as best as it could.

Last edited:

dsprimal

Banned
Adjusting the shocks is completely seperate from adjusting the coilovers. You adjust the Koni's with a little knob at the very top of the shock. So to adjust the front shocks, just pop the hood and turn the knob. For the rear, pop the trunk and adjust the rear. Some shocks like the KYB AGX have the adjustment on the shock body making it a real pain to adjust quickly/easily.

As for the coilovers, they simply adjust the height of your car. You have to jack the car up, some cases take the wheel off, and spin the spring perch to raise or lower the height on each corner.

The Koni's are rebound adjustable. A lot of people think that adjusting the shocks to their stiffest setting will magically make their car handle worlds better but this isn't true. You are not reducing body roll or anything like that. You are changing the rate at which the shock controls the movement in your suspension. Allowing for more or less control and grip during cornering and even while driving straight when you hit bumps. In some cases you're only making your car handle worse by reducing grip.

It depends on your spring rate, the road conditions, tires, other suspension modifications, driving style, blah blah. Best bet for a simple daily driver would be to play around with the settings, front and rear independently, until you find something that is comfortable for your typical driving and streets you frequent. Not too low and not too high of a setting that you feel the suspension has the most control when driving through rough roads.

Also remember with coilovers that if you make any height adjustments after you've had an alignment done, you'll need to re-align your car. It isn't as simple as playing with the height whenever you feel like it and drive. You'll eat your tires up and your car won't handle as best as it could.

well said, thanks bro!!!