GD Distributor Rotor Screw

Jamie Clay

Does anyone have a 'sure fire' solution to keeping the distributor rotor screw in place? I've tried a number of different solutions - even recently replaced the old distributor with a remanufactured one + new rotors + new screws.

The dang thing keeps coming undone.

I guess it's possible the remanufactured one has questionable threads.

What a poor design this was.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

Thanks.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Use loctite on the threads and make sure to tighten it hard. Iver personally never heard of that bolt coming loose unless it improperly threaded or it wasnt tightened enough, or the rotor shaft was damaged somehow that lead to wobbling.

Jamie Clay

I've used Loctite but the blue not the red. (for heat) I'm going to try that next. What's strange is that this problem, which has plagued this car, has continued with a new distributor (well remanufactured) and new rotor and cap. (just felt like mentioning the cap though I don't think that's relevant) - if it happens again, I'm going to request another distributor, this one does have a warranty at least.

It's such a pain in the ass.

Thanks

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I have actually never heard of this happening....

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've used Loctite but the blue not the red. (for heat) I'm going to try that next. What's strange is that this problem, which has plagued this car, has continued with a new distributor (well remanufactured) and new rotor and cap. (just felt like mentioning the cap though I don't think that's relevant) - if it happens again, I'm going to request another distributor, this one does have a warranty at least.

It's such a pain in the ass.

Thanks
Then youre not tightening it well enough.

Jamie Clay

Then youre not tightening it well enough.
I would love to agree with you on this, but as a mechanic of 40+ years, I've got a pretty good grasp on how to tighten screws.

All that aside, to have designed this rotor to attach like this only invited this sort of failure. Many other systems have a keyed shaft for the rotor to fit on that would never allow this to happen - but that's irrelevant for the most part.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I would love to agree with you on this, but as a mechanic of 40+ years, I've got a pretty good grasp on how to tighten screws.

All that aside, to have designed this rotor to attach like this only invited this sort of failure. Many other systems have a keyed shaft for the rotor to fit on that would never allow this to happen - but that's irrelevant for the most part.
I myself have been turning wrenches professionally for over 10 years but I have not ever seen this happen. I also specialize in Honda's, ya its a different lock assembly and the rotor is "keyed" to go on only one way. its not locked in place without the screw but it will only go on ONE way. The screw does have to be tight and a dag of red or blue loctite doesn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, you didnt make your experience level previously known so I judged accordingly. Now it just sounds like youve fallen into that rare minority, which sucks. Are you sure the reman'd dizzy has the right grade of screw? Maybe thats the issue.