Gearbox noise

Buffy civic

Hello iv got a 1.4 I 1996 civic I bought the car couple months ago with what I thourght was the clucth release bearing gone ( when cars started and foot oFf the clutch makes a really bad noise but engage the clucth and does not make a noise) over the weekend I change the clucth clucth plate and the release bearing but when started the car was making the same noise when your driving along it gets loader but when at speed don't seam to make as much noise, Iv got a feeling the dif on the side of the gear box is on its way out. I put new gear box oil in think was 80 ep 90 is there anything I can do to make it last a bit till put new box in?
Cheers James

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I had the same issue as you, except my noise was only first gear. It wasnt really a grind, but a loud whine from the transmission. I was told it was the input shaft bearing that needed replacement, but I just bought another transmission for $150 and sold the bad one for $80.

You can try using Honda MT fluid. I have an Accord with a bad 2nd gear grind and I changed out the fluid with fresh Honda MTF and the grind isnt as noticeable.