gears are stiff

blue888

so after driving the car today both 2nd , 4th, and reverse are really stiff to get out of. And ocassionally I would grind 2nd gear. I read somewhere that try cleaning the 2 clutch bushings next to the tranny(i think thats what its called) or maybe the shiftlinkage (not sure if thats the same thing. Or gearbox oil needs to be changed. Cant be clutch since it got changed less than 2 months ago

RonJ

Banned
Check whether the transmission fluid is low or whether the fluid is old and needs to be replaced.

blue888

Check whether the transmission fluid is low or whether the fluid is old and needs to be replaced.

thnx... I was actually thinking it might be the transmission fluid is old, since its possible the previous owner didn't change it. Though wouldn't the mechanic have changed it after changing the clutch which was done recently? I was going to ask them but I'm having issues with them(not honest)

(it has 95 xxxmiles now)

RonJ

Banned
Though wouldn't the mechanic have changed it after changing the clutch which was done recently? I was going to ask them but I'm having issues with them(not honest)
You never know. Or he drained it and filled it with some crap oil or didn't refill it at all. Best not to make any assumptions at this point.

blue888

You never know. Or he drained it and filled it with some crap oil or didn't refill it at all. Best not to make any assumptions at this point.

True, but shouldn't then all gears be affected, why just 2, 4 , and reverse.
Also those three gears are stiff even when the car is turned off.

RonJ

Banned
True, but shouldn't then all gears be affected, why just 2, 4 , and reverse.
Also those three gears are stiff even when the car is turned off.
If you try hard enough, you can talk yourself out of almost anything. Remove the fill plug and check the MTF level. If it's full, drain the transmission and refill with Honda MTF. Then go from there.

blue888

If you try hard enough, you can talk yourself out of almost anything. Remove the fill plug and check the MTF level. If it's full, drain the transmission and refill with Honda MTF. Then go from there.
haha yea. Ok I'm going to try checking it myself(i'm kinda a noob), if not i'll take it to a mechanic.

RonJ

Banned
What car do you have? Enter this information into the Garage feature at the top.

RonJ

Banned
cool thnx ron, but how would I drain the fluid out?
A is the fill plug. D is the drain plug.

Check fluid level and add fluid at A. Remove D to drain fluid. Car does not need to be raised on stands to drain or fill.

blue888

A is the fill plug. D is the drain plug.

Check fluid level and add fluid at A. Remove D to drain fluid. Car does not need to be raised on stands to drain or fill.
oh, but how would I get under the car?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well you obviously need to jack the car up to be able to get to the drain bolt :lol:. Just be sure the car is level if you put it in the air before draining the fluid.

RonJ

Banned
You don't need to jack the car up, and you don't need to crawl under the car.

The fill bolt is accessible from above in the engine bay.

The drain bolt is accessible when you lay yourself down in front of the passenger wheel. You can slide an oil catch pan under the transmission to collect the draining MTF.

blue888

You don't need to jack the car up, and you don't need to crawl under the car.

The fill bolt is accessible from above in the engine bay.

The drain bolt is accessible when you lay yourself down in front of the passenger wheel. You can slide an oil catch pan under the transmission to collect the draining MTF.

great, since I have yet to buy some jack stands. I went to autozone to get Honda MTF but they don't carry it. So I'm going to go tomorrow to Honda since today they were closed.

blue888

I just thought of something... a week before the stiffness, I added some Dot 3 to the clutch resevoir(not honda branded). I kinda added a tiny bit past MAX. Could this be a problem?