Getting Turbo and Need Advice

quintid86

5+ Year Member
Hey.
I have a D16Y8 with only I/E/H and I'm getting a turbo off a friend -

I've never dealt with boost before though and my motor is probably completely stock(but has no problems). Will I need to upgrade anything on my motor before I install this? (I'm getting the turbo kit cheap so I have a little room for engine modification.)

My other friend who is more mechanically inclined said I will need to upgrade my pistons, and (some sort of bearings?)
Suggestions appreciated.. Thanks

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
All depends on how much you drive the car, how hard you're going to beat on it, and how much boost you push... research and provide us with more info.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please research X 10. We generally try not to spoon feed information to new members, this topic gets covered many times a week.

quintid86

5+ Year Member
Alright.
Well the kit is a T3/T4 kit I believe, it's coming off of his civic so I know it works. As far as all those go, the car is just going to be my daily driver to school/work, etc and I'm probably not going to punch it hard often - as far as boost goes since I've never had any before I was thinking about running 8 and seeing where that got me. And after looking over the engine a while back, I think it's safe to say that it's completely stock on the internals.

I was thinking about upgrading to a turbo cam and wiseco pistons(and then a dyno tune)? Also I haven't upgraded the fuel system or anything like that.

And the kit is coming with -everything--... Turbo, turbo manifold, all the piping, intercooler, etc....

Originally I was going to build the motor up with a crower stage 2-3 cam, higher compression pistons, maybe P28 chip the ECU, along with rebuilding anything else that needed work.

But his turbo is so cheap I don't know.. Basically What I'm pondering is should I do everything I was going to do and -then- turbo it or turbo it first?

bensmoore

5+ Year Member
Alright.
and I'm probably not going to punch it hard often - as far as boost goes since I've never had any before I was thinking about running 8 and seeing where that got me. And after looking over the engine a while back, I think it's safe to say that it's completely stock on the internals.
Boost is one thing you will most likely NOT stay out of lol ... 8 psi is going to feel like you went from a geo to a vett ... Just keep doing research . A stock motor would be fine on 8-10 psi as long as you have a good tune and do not drive the car like it is stolen everywhere you go .. Seems like you have a lot to learn .. :???:

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright.
Well the kit is a T3/T4 kit I believe, it's coming off of his civic so I know it works. As far as all those go, the car is just going to be my daily driver to school/work, etc and I'm probably not going to punch it hard often - as far as boost goes since I've never had any before I was thinking about running 8 and seeing where that got me. And after looking over the engine a while back, I think it's safe to say that it's completely stock on the internals.

I was thinking about upgrading to a turbo cam and wiseco pistons(and then a dyno tune)? Also I haven't upgraded the fuel system or anything like that.

And the kit is coming with -everything--... Turbo, turbo manifold, all the piping, intercooler, etc....

Originally I was going to build the motor up with a crower stage 2-3 cam, higher compression pistons, maybe P28 chip the ECU, along with rebuilding anything else that needed work.

But his turbo is so cheap I don't know.. Basically What I'm pondering is should I do everything I was going to do and -then- turbo it or turbo it first?
high comp pistons and boost dont go together. you will be fine if you run low boost( 7 or 8 psi) on a stock d. just dont try to run too much power through it. d series rods are weak so i would try to stay around 200 hp or so. 250 is the limit on a stock d series.

quintid86

5+ Year Member
200HP? That's crazy HP for a car that weighs 2300ish lbs.. (and me only weighing 150).

I think that should be enough for me..I just wanted to make sure the D could handle the boost w/o needing any major engine upgrades.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Whatever happened to your friend's suggestions to upgrade your bearing...? With 8lbs you'll be fine with some minimal fuel upgrades.

bensmoore

5+ Year Member
last summer i pushed a stock D to 290hp before a rod bent ... You should have no problem gettin 200 -250

quintid86

5+ Year Member
Well he's the one installing it so he probably won't let me get away from this without upgrading the bearings.. lol.

I didn't think the D could put out so much power, I mean even after reading posts of guys getting 200 at the wheels it's still hard to believe. I'm hoping for at least 180whp out of this install - I'm not racing anyone, I just think it's pathetic getting spanked by new Corolla's off red lights. (not by much, albeit)

ekgabby

5+ Year Member
dam thanx im doing the same thing d16y8 and i wanted to no all the quisetions u asked lol this really helped me alot

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got a Y8 boosted bottom end built. Pushing 380 whp.......but also at 15psi with a Garrett T04E T3/T4 also upgraded compressor wheel and added a 360 degree thrust bearing for quicker spool....... the D has some POWER!!!

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if u decide to build the Y8, go with a vitara piston build. Cheap and reliable. go to www.ftjdistributors.com they have some nice bottom end packages for what ur looking for

quintid86

5+ Year Member
380whp on a D is insane... And thanks for the piston recommendation.
Okay, well, I got my kit now.
I'm told all I need now is an OBD2a to OBD1 harness, and a P28 chip for my ECU.

The only problem is, my tranny is automatic. Will just ANY p28 chip work for my ECU, or do I need to specifically find one for the automatic?

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why would you need a jumper harness? what are you planning on tuning with?

quintid86

5+ Year Member
well my friend works at a speed shop that's got a dyno. he's hooking up my turbo kit for me - he said it looks like everything is there, I just need a p28 chip for my ECU and the ob2a-obd1 conversion harness...

I found the harness already, it's just all the p28' chips i see for sale say they are for 5-speeds, when mine is automatic like i mentioned... And to answer your question, I believe he is going to tune it with the dyno.

I'm not certain but I don't think a p28 chip for a manual will work for the ECU that goes with the automatic? or will any p28 chip work?

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well my friend works at a speed shop that's got a dyno. he's hooking up my turbo kit for me - he said it looks like everything is there, I just need a p28 chip for my ECU and the ob2a-obd1 conversion harness...

I found the harness already, it's just all the p28' chips i see for sale say they are for 5-speeds, when mine is automatic like i mentioned... And to answer your question, I believe he is going to tune it with the dyno.

I'm not certain but I don't think a p28 chip for a manual will work for the ECU that goes with the automatic? or will any p28 chip work?
Have ur guy convert the manual P28 to an auto,