Glasspack Inquiry

badaz907

I am about to install a thrush 2" glasspack on my civic instead of a muffler anyone ever had one before how loud is it going to be?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know that glasspacks on v8's scream redneck when you get on it.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
glass pack will make it louder, a resonator will make it quieter.
just get a decent magnaflow muffler

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
glassback = redneck truck/jeep

97-ferio

5+ Year Member
hehehehe, a glass pack on a Civic...do it and then get us a sound clip. i wanna hear how it sounds man. but on a serious note, save your money for a good exhaust system with a resonator, that way your car won't sound like crap...glasspacks are alright for anything that's above a 4 cylinder...mustangs and camaros sound alright with 'em...as do big trucks...but hey, it's your money, do what you want:thumbs up

badaz907

ok so why the glasspack my response

I think mufflers for civic are over priced. I can get the muffler oem pipe that goes from the intermediate pipe to a 1 7/8" pipe as if the oem muffler wasnt there. Then I can weld in any muffler I want. I chose the glass pack because it was cheap 20-30 bucks thats the only resons I chose The glasspack, But if any one can give me some info on another muffler I am all ears but I ahve a welder and I'm not gonna drop 250+ on a muffler assembled that I can do it myself. Also I agreee with some mufflers being only good for 6 and 8 clyinders the flowmaster muffler oem bolt on for a civic sounds like your car has diareha.

civicnation425

5+ Year Member
badaz907 said:
Also I agreee with some mufflers being only good for 6 and 8 clyinders the flowmaster muffler oem bolt on for a civic sounds like your car has diareha.
so do glasspacks! If you can do all this welding yourself, just get a universal fit muffler for the end. Such as a twinloop or something along those lines. You will be much more happy with the end result

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
badaz907 said:
Does anyone here run a staright pipe??
im runnin a megan header, then to a skunk2 mega power. basically its straight pipe cuz im runnin no cat, and the mega power has a straight-through muffler on it. i also have a resonator in place of the cat and theres another resonator alredy in the b-pipe. its f**kin loud as hell so i put my silencer in haha. still loud tho

zdiver07

5+ Year Member
glass pack

I have a glass pack on my 96 civic and it did sound awsome, kinda loud but a very deep low hum to it. I got compliments all the time about the sound of it and how it was different than everyone else's honda. But then i put headers on it and it got extremely loud, way too loud, so now i am forced to buy a muffler!

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a glasspack on my hatch a while back ago. It sounded like a strong lawn mower but it had the stock d15b with stock piping. Honestly, I didn't mind the sound. I guess you could throw in 2 glass packs if you want to quiet it down a bit.

DrRandall

5+ Year Member
by the the time you pay to have a new exhaust welded up, pay for the muffler and labor to do all this, you could have bought a cheap catback that will actually function, make horsepower and sound good IMO.

badaz907

my civic is fast now with my oem muffler

my civic is fast now with my oem muffler, I like noise and plus I'd rather say I built my own muffler my self rather than paying someone to do it lmo

badaz907

my civic is fast now with my oem muffler

what your saying is that there is no diffrence in a cheap cat back and an expensive one

Phantom Civic

Never Satisfied
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I put a glasspack on my civic when I had open dp. It smoothed it out some.

Yes glasspacks are mostly on trucks and such but only because that is the "muffler of choice" back in the 70's. It won't make you car sound horrible or wierd, its basically a resonator (especially the thrush), and your car will always be a 4-cylinder. Don't worry too much about exhaust because it is very hard to duplicate the sound of some other car without having the exact same setup. Everything from the header to the cat to the piping and mufflers will changer the sound. Heck I've even heard some people cut the muffler off and have a shop run a tip there with everything else stock, and it sounded decent.

In the end your the one driving and you need to expierence some different setups to see what you like.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What's a glass pack? It's a perforated steel tube wrapped in fiberous glass mat and then encased in a larger steel tube.

What's a GReddy EVO2 muffler? It's a perforated steel tube wrapped in fiberous stainless steel mat and then encased in a larger polished stainless steel tube.

Notice any similarities there?

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DrRandall said:
by the the time you pay to have a new exhaust welded up, pay for the muffler and labor to do all this, you could have bought a cheap catback that will actually function, make horsepower and sound good IMO.
You think you're going to make horse power by throwing a cheap catback on a civic? :lol:

If you're in it for the hp the you go with a straight pipe. ;)

badaz907

i think I will and see how it is with the straight pipe if its too load then ill put it back thanks for the positive info. Besides srt-4's run no mufflers

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
badaz907 said:
i think I will and see how it is with the straight pipe if its too load then ill put it back thanks for the positive info. Besides srt-4's run no mufflers
they have a turbo, turbos act as mufflers.

they have mufflers stock.