got a 99 throttle body to replace 97 but what is this? PICS

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i picked up a 99 tb for my 97 because the tps sensor went bad and i got a whole new tb for only $40. i got the tb thinking they were going to be the same but i found a few differences. pics of differences:

i just noticed as i was taking pics that all the differences are on plate that is screwed to the tb so i'm gonna take it off and check it out. i dunno if my 97 has a removable plate that i could take off my old one and swap to my new one. i'll have to look into it more. does anyone know? any help is appreciated.

also, what's the proper way to reset the ecu after i swap the tb's? i wanna swap it then reset the ecu so the cel isn't on. thanks.

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i unscrewed the thing in the first pic and a spring popped out. i dunno wtf it went so i hope i don't need it. i don't think my 97 tb has a plate w/ that stuff that i can remove. also, i dont think it has that sensor in the second pic.i know the tps sensor has rivet looking things in it to attach it to the tb. if i'm not going to be able to use the tb then how do i replace the sensor? any help is appreciated. thanks.

97-ferio

5+ Year Member
that looks like a TB for a D16Y7. the idle air control valve is built into the TB for the Y7 one...if i had my haynes manual on me i could tell you what all that extra stuff is on the TB, but my buddy borrowed it, lol. you should just yank the TPS off of it, and sell the rest of the TB assembly. =)

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'll probably end up doing that but, the sensor looks like it's rivetted in there. it's not screwed and there isn't really a type of head, it's just a smooth cap. i could probably drill it out but, i dunno.

97-ferio

5+ Year Member
the two rivet looking things holding the tps onto the throttle body are screwed in. if you have a dremel w/a small cutting wheel, cut a slit down the middile of each rivet big enough for the tip of a flat head screwdriver to fit into...then, unscrew those bad boys and remove your tps. that's how we slavaged the tps from one of my old TB's.

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wouldn't have thought about that. i'll try that.

do i need to do anything before installing the new one or does it go on a certain way? sorry for all the questions. just wanna get this done.