Got another hatch!

sinisterfuzzy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, i picked up a pretty rusty civic si, it has a vx engine. the engine needs an idle air control valve and o2 sensor. o2 sensors, are about $380 and idle air control valves are like 200-300 bucks. I'm sure there are way more problems than i know about too because, i have never been in a slower car... My buddies Geo Metro (3cyl) beat the s**t out of it. The d15b's say they have about 130 horse. Is there anyway that I could possibly get that up to 150 with just some bolt ons, or a cam i just want something that can at least just go without me feeling like it's about to die it's so pig slow.

91sib16

5+ Year Member
swap it you can get a new motor from HMOTORSONLINE.COM for cheap money just the motor or a complete swap

Eg6si93

5+ Year Member
its not a 130hp if it a vx motor its more like only 92hp thats why you lose and thats to the crank

Last edited:

sinisterfuzzy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry, im a lil under the influence, i want to ditch the VX engine and put a D15B in it. Which boasts 130hp.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
D1t5b isn't a bad swap at all. It will get you a bit of power, for a rather cheap price. So that's what you want as far as motor goes, and now you're wondering if you can make 150 with bolt ons? Well, at the crank, probably yes, but not to the wheels. The 130 hp Honda says the motor has, is at the crank, and it puts maybe 100-110 actually to the wheels. WHP is a better reference, and is what most of us on the site go by, as you get whp from a dyno slip, not hp at the crank. So back to your question, I think you can make 150 with bolt ons, to the crank, but not to the wheels.

Eg6si93

5+ Year Member
you can ake a 150 whp but you will need more than just bolt ons you will need cams bigger Tb and other things to

Eg6si93

5+ Year Member
what yes you can the D15B jdm start at 130 stock with just bolt ons i hit 150 at the crank i made 125 whp

flat_line

5+ Year Member
they are saying you cant make 150whp with just bolt on's and its right your only 125whp he wants 150whp there you go.:D

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they are saying you cant make 150whp with just bolt on's and its right your only 125whp he wants 150whp there you go.:D
No I said crank horsepower. I realize that it starts out with 130hp. Bolt ons are not going to net you 20 hp out of an otherwise stock D series motor. You must be crazy if you think they will.

Simply put, the ECU will not allow them to make that much power.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
first of all who would swap a less horsepower on a si second vx motor is not meant for racing it's for commuting

Squad

5+ Year Member
i was under the impression d15s made 102 hp brand new, at the crank. so if i am lucky with 200k on it at the wheels i may be making 70ish? drivetrain losss and all that. i didnt know the jdm version made 130. i know the doch non vtec motor in my friends hatch is jdm and makes like 140 na at the crank. zc or something.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was under the impression d15s made 102 hp brand new, at the crank. so if i am lucky with 200k on it at the wheels i may be making 70ish? drivetrain losss and all that. i didnt know the jdm version made 130. i know the doch non vtec motor in my friends hatch is jdm and makes like 140 na at the crank. zc or something.
Your thinking of the USDM D15b7. The JDM D15b is a single cam vtec motor, and it makes 130 stock.

sinisterfuzzy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alright, i've decided i don't really care about power as much as the d15b is $500 and i can put it in in about a weekend. So, it's cheaper than a new o2 sensor and idle air control valve so yeah, a nice newer engine with some more power. I was only thinking of maybe intake and exhaust for some fun. Then while it's running solid i can save up to get the suspension/steering setup all nice and get the car ready (mechanical and cosmetic) for a B16 or B18 swap.

BseriesEG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
D15B imo is not gonna get you anywhere performance wise. just get an ls swap. ive seen ls motors n trannys go for 500 bux b4. just need to spend a lil more for extra swap stuff needed.only a couple hundred bux more and its way more to build off. dont waste your time wit the d15b. its not that big of step from the vx.