got my first gun today

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, because it's a flashy .22. Don't get me wrong, it's a very great performing .22. But to me, a .22 is for plinking, and $450 on a gun just for plinking is too much for my blood.

I was actually deciding between a 1911 and an M&P45. A friend of mine, one that knows guns quite well, suggested that in case I ever have to carry, I wouldn't want to have that "plastic tumor" on my hip, I would want a real gun. There's a reason why the 1911 has not only been around, but also been in service for just over 100 years now. Don't get me wrong, other guns can be more practical. A standard size M&P will have a higher capacity, but I believe it's also wider. There's also some kind of inexplicable allure to a 1911. My SR9 is actually more practical...it's lighter, and has twice the capacity, but there's something about the 1911 that I like much more.

I use an index finger safety on all my guns :twisted:
yeah, i agree.... the 22AR's are kinda a waste.

1911's are such durable, great guns. i think im going to get another and mod it to shoot an odd caliber :twisted:

thumb safety for carry purpose... ive read too many letters about people pulling their gun from their pocket and accidently pulling the trigger on the draw... a lil peace of mind isnt a bad thing.

CJ89

No title needed :)
Registered VIP
No, because it's a flashy .22. Don't get me wrong, it's a very great performing .22. But to me, a .22 is for plinking, and $450 on a gun just for plinking is too much for my blood.

^^^
Thats why i just went out and got a Remington 597 and put the Archangel stalk conversion on it. Same cool look for half the price.

Sent from my DROIDX

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah, i agree.... the 22AR's are kinda a waste.

1911's are such durable, great guns. i think im going to get another and mod it to shoot an odd caliber :twisted:

thumb safety for carry purpose... ive read too many letters about people pulling their gun from their pocket and accidently pulling the trigger on the draw... a lil peace of mind isnt a bad thing.
They are great guns. Again, there's guns that may be more practical...but the 1911 is a GREAT platform with A LOT of allure. It's been around for just over 100 years for a reason.

I understand what you're saying about for carry, but it depends on what you're carrying. Carrying a 1911 which is SAO, without a doubt carry it with the safety engaged. This works for me too because I ride the safety lever with my right thumb anyway to control muzzle flip, so my thumb ends up pressing down on the safety lever anyway. Something that's striker fired with a trigger bar, or maybe DA/SA and carry it with the hammer down...I wouldn't mind carrying without a manual safety. It all depends on what the user is comfortable with. I think I would be comfortable carrying without the safety engaged on a striker fired pistol, or a DA/SA with the hammer down...it's one less thing you need to worry about in the event you need to use it.

wordlab

Congrats on your first gun. I would encourage you to get training beyond just the CCW class. Get proficient with the gun. That takes training and practice. You are the weapon; the gun is just a tool.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No matter what gun I end up getting I will get the thumb safety and have it on. What about a mag safety? Is it necessary to have?

After talking to AutoFanatik, I think I am going to pair my carry weapon with this knife as a backup. My just carry it around all the time just in case. Its the Ka-Bar TDi Law Enforcement Knife.

[YOUTUBE="Ka-Bar TDi"]3nfmDXy1waQ[/YOUTUBE]

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I don't like mag safeties, it's just one more restriction. Let's say you need to reload, and your chamber isn't empty. You drop the mag, and for whatever reason you need to fire a round. You can't do that with a gun that has a mag safety. To me, there's no reason for it.