got spark and fuel-no start. help!

robinson5153

2000 ex. for about a week the car would bog down at idle (never die) and at about 60mph it would lose power. All i had to do was let off the gas and then get back on it and it would be fine. I had codes checked and it showed bad tdc sensor. A couple days later it will not start. Distributor was under warranty so i replaced it and plugs. It now has good blue spark. Fuel pump kicks on when key is turned, I cracked the lline at the rail and fuel sprayed out, and I have fuel at the plugs. Timing belt is intact and cam turns. Engine will still not fire. It wont even fire on ether. What am I missing?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you replace the bad TDC sensor?

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
This may sound kinda dumb but did you check for anything in the intake manifold ? If you have fuel, good spark ( since you replaced the distributor) , proper timing , and compression the only thing left you need is a good supply of air! just a thought! Check the air filter, it could have been partially blocked causing the issue and then one day totally clogged!

robinson5153

TDC sensor is in the distributor.

I didn't check for anything in the manifold, but the filter is clean and i had the intake hose removed when I sprayed ether and it didn't start.

Anyone ever heard of the the fuel pump not putting out enough pressure. I'm wondering if there is not enough pressure at the injectors to spray and it drips/pours and floods the engine. I've only ever heard of these honda pumps working or failing completely, not partially.

robinson5153

still no start. i checked compression and got 140-150psi on all four cylinders. i have to be missing something stupid.

mikemark8808

I'm having a similar issue with my 98 Honda Civic EX. At first there was no spark, but I replaced an ignition coil and it produced a nice blue spark. Still cranks but no start. No codes on my ODB at all. Checked everything including fuel pump, injectors. Please post if you have found a solution. I'm thinking maybe there may something to do with one of the following:

- Air intake manifold may not be allowing air to pass through. Tried to burn off any gasoline inside, produced 3 loud 'whoop' sound and smoked gasoline out. Did not solve no start issue.
- Looked online and see something about the ECT (engine coolant temp) that may cause crank but no start issues... If this is it I will be pissed.

Either way I'm gonna bring it into a shop early Monday morning and have them figure it out. Already been on this for a week so far.

Rusty2g

May not be it, but did you check the fuel pressure regulator? If it goes bad, the engine floods and it won't start. Happened on my 99 hatch. If you take off the top vac hose and the car starts, you found your problem.

wilebkiote

Im having the same problem.Replaced dr. side half shaft, when I let it down it will not start. Checked plgs, wires, coil, ignitor, timing, fuel reg, no codes, nice big spark and the cylinders keep flooding with gas each time I try and start. New one on me, never been so baffeled!Anybody?

Andys2kcr

Respected
If you have good fuel pressure 30psi to 40 psi when turn key on and the pressure hold then fuel pump and pressure regulator is ok. Since you have spark and timing ok the only thing left is the crankshaft position sensor. If that sensor bad, car wont start even if u have spark and fuel and air. Good luck

In order to check fuel pressure, you need a fuel pressure gauge with a 12mm banjo bolt adaptor because you need to take out the banjo bolt on the fuel filter and srew in the 12mm adapter and hook up the pressure gauge to check.

Last edited by a moderator: