Grinding gears

Frenetica

5+ Year Member
Everytime I put my car in reverse with the clutch all the way in it makes a grinding sound. Also while accelerating faster then normal, I sometimes grind 1st to 2nd even with the clutch all the way it usually happens 1 every 5 times I'm stepping on it. All my other gears are fine no problems that I know of. Also is there a way to get into 5th faster. I'm used to it now, but it's a hard gear to get into rushing. Like you have to pop into neutral slam it to the right then up, rather then the other gears where it just a little push and it goes where I want it to.

mint

Club Civic Sanny!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm i have exactly the same problems. when i go into reverse it crunchs well bad, i found that if i waited a few secs in neut first then it can go in fine, but mine wont go into 1st or Reverse first time all the time... i dont think theres much that can be done... just the gearbox on its last legs im afraid.. i could be wrong tho.. i hope so cause it aint cheap to sort that s**t out..

Liz

c=}:::::::>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am having the same problem but only with 3rd gear.. I have search on here before and sounds like its the Synchro Mesh. I dont know much about it and it could be wrong.. I am sure someone else on here can tell you better.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like your syncros are going bad, mine are too, i band-aid but not a fix is to replace your tranny fluid with GM synchromesh. It helped my 3rd gear grind for over a month now.

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had the same problem just this morning .. It was cold out and i couldnt even get it to shift unless i slammed it into gear. when i got out of school, it seemed to shift fine tho.. maybe weather affects the syncro?

Neoburge

Sol man
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your problem is normal.. its just the way the honda trannys are.... (the hydrolic trannys)

just dont force it into gear when it grinds.. or you WILL BEND THE INTERNAL SELECTOR FORKS... and once those are bent... oh buddy... your syncros start to grind down.. and when they do.. you wont be able to get it to go into any gears...

trust me.. I know....

on grinding in reverse

put it in 2nd first .. and then straight into reverse.. should help'

do not jam it into 5th.. that will f**k your shift forks up as well

deftone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
put it in 1st, then put it in reverse... redline leightweight shockproof gear oil works fantastic for trannys

mint

Club Civic Sanny!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well this morning i tried to put into 2nd before reverse and it still wouldnt go in.. then stuck it in 4th a few times and eventually it went in.. also see when i start it for the first time its idlin at about 2 to 3 thousand RPM.. any way to sort this or is it just cause its very very cold?..

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
same problems here...i find that if i push my clutch in and it wont go easy, put in first gear and move forward a littlbe bit then try to move put into reverse. i had the same problems with difficulty shifiting into most of my gears...i find that if i double clutch from gear to gear, the shifiting is easier and over time the gear box cleans it self up a bit. I have noticed a big difference in shifting from when i first got the car till now...shifts a lot better now.

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Same problem here when backing up on my stock clutch. When reversing, try coming to a complete stop, put it in neutral, shift into first, then shift into reverse. I find that that helps to minimize if not stop the gears from grinding when you want to reverse. As for the upshift grinding, I haven't had that problem (yet). This is common of aftermarket clutches is it? Such as stage 2 performance clutches and so forth?

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is no syncro for reverse gear, that is why reverse likes to grind so much. nothing to do about it except waiting a sec or two with your foot on the clutch.

budget_crx

Honest Officer,That Fast?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No, if it was the TOB it would be making noise whenever you oushed the clutch in. Frenetica's problem is due to what rickles said, lack of syncros in reverse. My car does the same thing and the tob is brand new.

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had the same problem with my s20. if i took it up to redline and tried to shift it would grind . i just switched the tranny. its easy and you can pick up a tranny cheap. other than that i dont know what to tell you

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
97hondamod said:
i had the same problem with my s20. if i took it up to redline and tried to shift it would grind . i just switched the tranny. its easy and you can pick up a tranny cheap. other than that i dont know what to tell you

you my friend spent more money than you had to. its because your sycnros are going out. you should have either put some gm syncro mesh in the tranny or replace the syncros.

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nah it didnt cost me a dime i already had the tranny sittin in my garage

sr90civic

5+ Year Member
ive noticed that id give it a little rev of the engine to about 2000 rpm then put it in it goes in nicely

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine does the same thing every so often. i found going into second then first helps alot. as for reverse if t does that i just put it in neutral let the clutch out then push it back in and it goes in just fine.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you still have your owners books youll see that it says to come to a stop and put it into a foward gear be4 Reverse.. i found that out when my tranny wouldnt go into rev but then i read the book and it said to do that, as for 1st and 2nd maybe you bent your Shift linkage, i know in my brothers EF it has a Placeracing shiftlinkage and it did grind every gear becuz the way it was bent, after a good year of drivin and fixin it, only 1st and rev are hard to find. another thing you might wanna do is check your tranny oil..