Grinding when turning?

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First off im new to the boards - just picked up a 97 hatch with some mods from the previous owner.

there is one problem - its on coilovers .. stock shocks/struts - and its dumped - I tuck all 4 tires on 17's

but everytime I turn to the right the car sounds like metal on metal grinding - its only right turns - I think the rim might be rubbing the wheel well when I turn - but I dont have the coilover key's to pick it up.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what it could be? or what to look at? or where I can get a set of the coilover wrenches to pick the thing up a bit?

edit: its the driver side wheel when I turn right - just to clear things up.

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like you might have a bad axle! Makes sense too because the passenger side axles tends to go more than drivers.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its the driver side that is makes the noise though - I know the passenger side has been replaced ... but maybe - we took the rim off and the rim looks like the entire inside has been curbed and there is a rubbed spot on the inside of the wheel - Im guessing thats it (rims too wide?) - but it could be the axle ... hmmm

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your rims probably rubbing.. I had that problem with my 17" rims and it probably only does in on the one side because that side is just a bit lower!

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Kingjames83 said:
your rims probably rubbing.. I had that problem with my 17" rims and it probably only does in on the one side because that side is just a bit lower!
thanks man - Ill take a look at it - I realyl dont like the 17's - bought it that way - I want a nice set of 15's =) so Ill pick that side up a bit and see if that fixes it - now I just gotta find a place that has the coilover wrenches :(

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
grease the bastards up and you should be able to do it with your hands... I had to do that for 2 yrs, worst case senario use something to prey em lose.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rubbing clicking or grinding...?

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
rubbing clicking or grinding...?
it sounds like metal on metal grinding

just a heads up - im at work so I cant look - but my brother said he took the wheel off and the inside wall of the rim looks like its been rashed to all hell - and there is a sopt on my inner wheel well that has been rubbed clean - so I think thats the issue =). thanks all for the help

divz06

5+ Year Member
I dont think you can get rid of the sound?? I have the same problem... You pretty much cant make full locks. You might also want tobang the guard mounts in a bit, and i think the headlight interferes a bit too...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well turning doesnt normally make it louder but it SOUNDS like my bearing sounded...

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
either way I think the car sits too low for were I live so Im going to pick it up a bit - and I also dont like the 17's that are on it so Im gonna go to a 15x7 ... Im hoping that will fix it - if not Ill bang the fender in a bit.

I dont think its a bearing - It doesnt get louder when I turn - the only time it makes the noise is when I turn ... thanks again for all the input guys.