Ground Control Coilover spring rates for Daily driving/AutoX

TurboEM1

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys I need help choosing spring rates for my car. Heres some background info.
Car - 1999 Honda Civic Si. Daily driven but will attend most if not all Autox's in the area ( 1 - 2 a month). Id rather the car be more towards Daily driving/less harshness then a full race set up but i still want nice autoX handling. Car will most likely have a large rear sway bc of understeer if that makes a difference. Struts will be koni yellows.

Now besides the coilovers, regular koni yellows will be fine right? I mean do i need to get them revalved and/or shortened?

Thanks

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got gc coils wityh koni yellow sp3's...
off the hook..u can leave the spring setting the way it is i think..or maybe higher it a little bit..
i don;t have any experience auto x'ing so i wouldn;t be able to tell u if its better stiffer or not...
but it handles like a champ the way it comes so..unless u get some convincing answers..like from anekin or someone..i would leave em be..:thumbs up

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
original gc spring rates are 330f/250r, i got gc with koni yellows with a comptech swaybar in the back. there is barely any understeer. im swaping in 350f/400r soon to get rid of the rest of the understeer and get rid of some of the body roll that is still left. most autox'ers use about 100 lbs higher but im try to keep it daily driven friendly. the springs are progressive type springs so its pretty much daily driven friendly already.

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool, i'm trying to decide my spring rates for my future gc/koni combo. so factory is 330f/250r, I've been hearing that stiffer rear springs equate to way less understeer, but harsher ride. I was thinking 350/300 because I DD a lot, and will be adding either the comptech or ITR w/ ASR brace sway to help out the rear. I'm waiting on some answers from GC, i'll post what they recommend.

Anekin, how bad is the bodyroll right now?

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay, i got an email back from GC. He said that he recommends me getting the standard rate of 340f/250r because of the amount of DD I do, and autox once in awhile. I drive like 30-40 miles a day 6 days a week. He also said that for a very minimal difference in ride quality, go up to 380f/250r to help bump up performance at autox. So, I'll probably be getting 380f/250r and going with a full rear sway kit. Hope that helps.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bumping up the front will add understeer. u need the bump up the spring rate of the rear. my body roll is not that bad. it feels weird when i drive other peoples car cause their car seems really sluggish.

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah I know, but the higher spring rates in the rear means harsher ride.

TurboEM1

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just an update guys. Im going to run 400 front 450 rear. This is for a daily driven car and a weekend autox'er.

Green for a full out daily driver I would recomend 400/400 with a larger rear sway. This is if you will be into autocross and want a great handling car that is still drivable. If you are more towards DD and less auto cross get lower rates.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
eibach uses progressive type springs so its not really that harsh on daily driving even at higher spring rates. if u put it up to as high as skunk2 spring rates u will still have a nicer daily driven ride then skunk2 if ur on gc. skunk2 using linear type springs. check out this example chart for better understanding.

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay, a little confused, the GC guy probably said up only the front because he wants to maintain "factory like" settings. 350f/400r sounds okay. when are you swapping in the new springs?

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gc and koni owns..i really have no body roll..but then i have a dx..:what:

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blazed said:
gc and koni owns..i really have no body roll..but then i have a dx..:what:
daily driveablitly? I know it's your opinion, but the more i get the better I can figure things out. what spring rate are you running?