gsr build need help

deezeg6

i currently have a stock GSR in my hatch and my ultimate goal is turbo. I want to know what I should do to strengthen the block so my motor can hold up to the turbo. Also what brand of internals that are fair in price for the quality. Im planning on running 5-15 psi of boost.

rayej8

5+ Year Member
first of all id ur nlock built bus if its jus stock den im not so sure ur compression is adequate for turbo cuz its a 10.0:1 compression u might wanna lower the compression to lik a 8.5:1 or 9.0:1.....
get internal made for turbo applications such as supertech, skunk2, blox should make them
and u might want to sleeve ur block if ur goin to go 15psi but not really necessary if u stay between 9 and 12 psi
and u gonna have to do alot of tuning!!
hope this helps
goodluck with the buld

rayej8

5+ Year Member
my bad didnt read completely it is stock hahaha my bad again jus ignore that part lol

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First this question has been asked millions of times, google it and you'll get a plethora of answers.

Basically has it, u can basically boost up to around 300hp on a stock block (but thats pushing it) if you get a really good tune, but psi doesnt really tell you anything since 10 psi on one turbo may not be 10 on another. I'd say if your gonna pull the block out you should switch to arp head and rod studs and get your rods shot peened at least, but we also need to know your budget in order to help you.

deezeg6

Well the labor is basically free since my buddy is a mechanic. I just have to line up the parts for the build but I dont know where to start. My budget is 1500-2000 without the turbo.

rayej8

5+ Year Member
really all u need is just the turbo pistons to lower ur compression a bit
and maybe arp headstuds and bolts
importantly dont go cheap on the tuning!!!!

demonicdelsol

you dont have to lower compression if you tune well. lowering compression will lower tq. lowering compression is so you are safer if you are unsure you can get a really good tune. stock type s k20 is 10.5 compression and people are making 500hp on stock motor on daily drivers. but the rod stroke ratio is better on them.

demonicdelsol

First this question has been asked millions of times, google it and you'll get a plethora of answers.

Basically has it, u can basically boost up to around 300hp on a stock block (but thats pushing it) if you get a really good tune, but psi doesnt really tell you anything since 10 psi on one turbo may not be 10 on another. I'd say if your gonna pull the block out you should switch to arp head and rod studs and get your rods shot peened at least, but we also need to know your budget in order to help you.[/QUOTE

Get forged rods and pistons, and arp bolts (rod and head bolts.)

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How many miles are on the motor? Along with 9.0:1 pistons (I did CP) and eagle rods, I would look into bearings as well. To be on the safer side, also look into a new oil pump! Sleeves aren't totally necessary unless you plan on going stupid sick down the road. Like everyone is saying, the tune is HUGE. Make sure you really have a good tuner. You can spend the best money on the best parts and a F'd up tune will blow your s**t out!