GSR swap? or K20?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey everyone. I'm still a little new to Civic's. Jack, my 2000 Civic Ex is my first one. I'm playing around with the idea of a swap. He has just the stock D16Y8, but I really want to swap eventually. The D16 only has 123,XXX miles on it so far. (It wouldn't be able to happen till summer, since I have to graduate till my dad will sign over the car to me, and he won't let me do anything under the hood for the car until then). I was leaning toward just a full GSR swap, but I would absolutely love to drop in a K20, but that's probably supperrrr expensive. So I just wanted some opinions or some tips about doing a swap. Also some estimates on the price. If you guys could help me out, that'd be great. Thanks!(:

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
K swap with all the goodies - $6-$10k
GSR swap with all the goodies - $4-$6k

Depends on how far you go with it.

The general concusses is if you have to ask how to do a swap, you're not ready to do a swap. Just start reading everything you possibly can to teach yourself about pros/cons of both, and form your own opinion on what motor YOU want in YOUR car.

That being said, seriously man; just search. Do some reading and research, there are hundreds of threads all over the place that have covered this exact topic/debate.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would go k20... Might as well get something faster...

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K swap with all the goodies - $6-$10k
GSR swap with all the goodies - $4-$6k

Depends on how far you go with it.

The general concusses is if you have to ask how to do a swap, you're not ready to do a swap. Just start reading everything you possibly can to teach yourself about pros/cons of both, and form your own opinion on what motor YOU want in YOUR car.

That being said, seriously man; just search. Do some reading and research, there are hundreds of threads all over the place that have covered this exact topic/debate.

Yeah, it won't be happening very soon, I just wanted to see what people have to say and I'm continuing to research the two options. Thanks for your help!
And man? Haha. Funny.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd do GSR swap and go far on that.
Though, I haven't seen too many K20 stories on here. So it's all up to you, don't let people tell you what to get. MAN. :D

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd do GSR swap and go far on that.
Though, I haven't seen too many K20 stories on here. So it's all up to you, don't let people tell you what to get. MAN. :D
:???:
Haha THANKS DUDE.
Yeah, I think GSR seems to be the easier and cheaper route; but a K20 would be really cool. I've seen some and they're gnarly. So I dunno...

sacriminal

how about a B16B or B18C5 those are nice swaps too!! GSR is the way to go! K-series too expensive unless ur rich go for it.. =)

civic0918

Registered VIP
Is your car low? if so and you live around bad roads stay away from a k series. The oil pan sits very low. You could just turbo your d they have the best tourqe imo. Forged pistons and the right turbo is an easy 350 h/p. Just an idea Good luck I like how you named your car thats funny.

WBJ

Registered VIP
This is me adding to pretty much what is already said...

The B-Series will be easier for you. It will be decently quick and you will have fun with it.

The K-Series (from what I have seen) will be all around faster, however requires more to install. More money, more time and more patience!

There was a point about the oil pan being lower to the ground...I can vouch for this. I have a buddy who has a K-Series in an EK an he hit a nice bump that wouldnt normal effect a lowered car, but for him it cost an oil pan.

Now I have an EG (I realize its a different chasis) with a B-Series and its pretty damn low, Ive never had an issue with the oil pan.

Whatever you decide, research is the key. If you cant find it go on this forum and others such as Honda-Tech, Hondaswap, etc and ask questions. (Just beware that questions without any research will most likely result with forum users giving you a lot of s**t! LOL)

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@civic0918 He's lowered just a tad, an inch or so at most. And I was thinking of turboing what I already have, but I'd rather just do a full swap. If I want to spend my money on something like that, I'd rather just change the whole engine. And yeah, I love naming my car(: It gives him personality, I think.

@Kensai Again, man? Haha.

@phntmsk8r Haha no worries. It happens a lot. As you can see on this thread.

@WBJ Yeah I guess research is a big thing on these forums... shoot. Haha. I'm still all new to this stuff so I'm still learning. From the sounds of a lot of forums about engine swaps, it does seem like the B series is that way to go.

afoss

5+ Year Member
k20= Expensive and hard to swap but its sucha sick swap, not that many(compared to b series), And you can easily swap k24 block.

b18= Cheaper, easier, but they are everywhere.

b16= retarted....

CDubs

Registered VIP
B16, JDM engine Import is giveing me one with tranny, axles, mounts, pretty much everything for a little over 2k. But if you can afforc a b18, then do it up.

But go with what you want to do, drop a lot into a K, then do it, go for a J if you want, but its your car, do what ever feels right, and like PhntmSk8r said, just do research.

ps im turboing the b16 ill be getting mostlikely, so after motor and trubo it will most likely cost just as much as a b18 i believe...just some food for thought

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they make mounts that will allow more ground clearance on the oil pan
my cousin Yee's oil pan was about 2 inches off the ground and his header was basically sitting on the ground when he first lowered the car to his liking and installed the new header..but after getting new mounts he now has a drive-able clearance

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like a B18 is an easier and cheaper swap. Still a K20 would be sick. Would I need to buy a new wiring harness for a B18?

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
no, you reuse your stock wiring harness for the gsr swap, I had to lengthen a few wires like for vtec and 02 sensor..

blkej7

hungry for boost
im saving up for a k24, they have unlimited potential and there are like a million wrecked accords in junkyards. to each his own just research your prices and everything u need for the swap, take everything into consideration and never cut corners. good luck

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im saving up for a k24, they have unlimited potential and there are like a million wrecked accords in junkyards. to each his own just research your prices and everything u need for the swap, take everything into consideration and never cut corners. good luck
Any motor has unlimited potential, just depends on how deep your pockets are. Personally, mine are pretty shallow

jeanlee411

how about a B16B or B18C5 those are nice swaps too!! GSR is the way to go! K-series too expensive unless ur rich go for it.. =)
Is your car low? if so and you live around bad roads stay away from a k series. The oil pan sits very low. You could just turbo your d they have the best tourqe imo. Forged pistons and the right turbo is an easy 350 h/p. Just an idea Good luck I like how you named your car thats funny.