H&R Sport Springs or H&R Race Springs for 99 SI?

1999EM1

Just registered here because nobodies posting on civicforums.com

I just bought a 99 Civic SI.

It was originally Milano Red but the owner painted it Tango Red Pearl because he felt it would be more "elegant."

I don't like either colors myself, but it was a sweet deal. 102,000 miles on the clock, stock SI alloys, b16a2 engine, clean title, and no modifications done whatsoever.

I got it for $6700.

The modifications I have planned:

1.) H&R Sport or Race Lowering Springs: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-R-S...Q5fAccessories

2.) Mugen front lip, Type R rear lip, and Type R grill: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...Q5fAccessories

3.) OEM style wing (It currently has the 96-98 low wing): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00-Honda-Civic-SI-2-dr-OEM-Style-Spoiler-Wing-PRIMER-/180691693944?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A1999|Model%3ACivic|Submodel%3ASi&hash =item2a12107178

Then I want to paint the whole thing Flamenco Black Pearl. I don't plan on changing the rims out.

Any input on other appearance mods? I also want a catback, not sure which one, looking for something under $300.

Lemme know if you guys want more pics and of what.

It's my DD and I don't want it to be too low but I hate looking at that gap. I don't know much about tuning but I'm looking to get into it. My buddy has a 99 LS Integra and it sits super low on skunk2 coils, a finger doesn't even go all the way inside the fender gap and tire, he also has a ITR lip and it rarely ever rubs. I think he has a +2.5 inch drop on the front and back.

The H&R Sports will drop me 1.75 in the front and 1.5 in the rear and the H&R Race springs will drop me 2.5 in the front and 2.3 in the rear. Which do you guys recommend? I live in the Bay Area and we have decent roads and it never snows.

I also want to install a urethane mugen replica lip and I don't want any rubbing with that. I'm leaning towards the H&R race springs, don't have the $$$ for coilovers.

Here's some pics of my car

http://i.imgur.com/x09Fz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PKg1F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uaNcm.jpg

Last edited:

1999EM1

Also, what else would I need besides the 4 springs?

Do I need to get new shocks and struts? In the FAQ, it says a camber kit isn't necessary.

EJ1SWAG

It is a good idea to upgrade the struts, especially if you want to throw the H&R race springs on there. I believe those give you a 2.25 front and 2.5 drop in the back.

1999EM1

It is a good idea to upgrade the struts, especially if you want to throw the H&R race springs on there. I believe those give you a 2.25 front and 2.5 drop in the back.
So if I pick up the H&R Race springs, I just need to change out the stock struts and I can leave the stock shocks and be good?

Are struts and shocks the same thing? :D Total newb here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-R-RACE-LOWERING-SPRINGS-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-EK-/190544124079?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1999|Model:Civic|Submodel:Si&hash=item2c5d5098af

These are the H&R Race I was looking at. It's advertised drop is 2.5 in the front and 2.3 in the rear.

r03ld4v1d

I wouldn't get springs unless you are getting new shocks. Especially when your dropping more then 1.5inche. Save money in the long wrong by getting coilovers.

1999EM1

I wouldn't get springs unless you are getting new shocks. Especially when your dropping more then 1.5inche. Save money in the long wrong by getting coilovers.
Can you recommend a good set of FULL coilovers?

I can get H&R Sport Springs for $225 shipped and and KYB AGX for $400 shipped, which would make the grand total for parts $625.

Can I get good coilovers for under $700? If I buy coilovers, do I need any extra parts? Thanks

1999EM1

Screw it, I'm going to save save save and buy the Skunk2 Full Coilover Kit Pro IIs off ebay for $720. No new shocks/struts needed, around the same price as a good spring/shock combo and I'll drop everything 2" flat.

1999EM1

H&R Sport Springs!
These are actually off of an Integra so your front drop won't be as high because the integra's engine weighs more. Also you can ride on your stock struts and it eliminates the gap. Had them for a little over a year now. Springs themself are 4 years old, got them used.

[/url

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lstewartphotography/5931505087/]
Your car looks great, can you post one side/profile pic in daytime light? Although I'm still leaning towards the Skunk2 Coils. I found them for $640 at http://www.prostreetonline.com/

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just registered here because nobodies posting on civicforums.com

The modifications I have planned:

1.) H&R Sport or Race Lowering Springs: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-R-S...Q5fAccessories

Lemme know if you guys want more pics and of what.

It's my DD and I don't want it to be too low but I hate looking at that gap. I don't know much about tuning but I'm looking to get into it. My buddy has a 99 LS Integra and it sits super low on skunk2 coils, a finger doesn't even go all the way inside the fender gap and tire, he also has a ITR lip and it rarely ever rubs. I think he has a +2.5 inch drop on the front and back.

The H&R Sports will drop me 1.75 in the front and 1.5 in the rear and the H&R Race springs will drop me 2.5 in the front and 2.3 in the rear. Which do you guys recommend? I live in the Bay Area and we have decent roads and it never snows.
If this is your DD, I'd suggest getting the H&R Sport springs. They will be more comfortable and you won't have to worry quite as much about scrapping.

Also, what else would I need besides the 4 springs?

Do I need to get new shocks and struts? In the FAQ, it says a camber kit isn't necessary.
You will need to get new shocks. Koni STR.T, Koni Yellow, Skunk2 Sport, EIbach Sport, KYB AGX, and Tokico Illumina will all work with the H&R Sports.

Because the H&R Race lower more, that means they are also quite a bit stiffer. This means a more harsh ride quality and also narrows your options of shocks aswell. You'll want to use the Koni Yellow, Skunk2 Sports, or KYB AGX with those.

So if I pick up the H&R Race springs, I just need to change out the stock struts and I can leave the stock shocks and be good?

Are struts and shocks the same thing? :D Total newb here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-R-RACE-LOWERING-SPRINGS-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-EK-/190544124079?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1999|Model:Civic|Submodel:Si&hash=item2c5d5098af

These are the H&R Race I was looking at. It's advertised drop is 2.5 in the front and 2.3 in the rear.
Your car uses shocks, period. Struts are found on MacPherson type suspensions like on the newer '01+ Civics. Erase the thought of struts from your mind lol.

That being said, yes, with the springs you will need to buy new shocks. Like mentioned above, you have more options to choose from with the H&R Sport springs and matched with the right shocks, the combo will offer a relatively smooth ride.

Can you recommend a good set of FULL coilovers?

I can get H&R Sport Springs for $225 shipped and and KYB AGX for $400 shipped, which would make the grand total for parts $625.

Can I get good coilovers for under $700? If I buy coilovers, do I need any extra parts? Thanks
Progress CS-2 Coilovers are the best and cheapest coilovers on the market. $555 Shipped from robearracing.com. You can't beat it. They will lower the car quite a bit, but I wouldn't suggest going quite as low as 2.5" all around. The spring rates are a little soft for being that low.

H&R Sport Springs!
These are actually off of an Integra so your front drop won't be as high because the integra's engine weighs more. Also you can ride on your stock struts and it eliminates the gap. Had them for a little over a year now. Springs themself are 4 years old, got them used.
The difference in weight of the motors is insignificant. It's 50lbs at most, which makes almost no difference in right height. Throw 50lbs of weight on top of your current motor and see how much your car drops, probably won't do anything...

Some people think that if they have a motor swap, they need stiffer springs which isn't the case. If you take a look at even the factory spring rates with different motor Civics, many still use the same spring rates and people would never be able to tell the difference...

The difference between the older Integras and the '96-'00 Civics is the shock spring perch locations. They are slightly different which is what may account for any difference in ride height when using springs on a 6th gen Civic from an Integra or 5th gen Civic.

1999EM1

civexspeedy, thank you for taking the time to look through my post and explaining everything. Before I read your post, I was ready to buy some Function Form Type Is off ebay for $630 shipped but I noticed the same Function Forms at RoBear Racing for $600! :D

Now, it's a toss up between the Function Form Type 1s and Progress CS-2s. I want a 2 inch drop with a full kip kit. Advice?

redexcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know you said your past the H&R race springs, but here is what my old car you used to look like on those springs BTW those were 195-50s on there

It was really low, I scrapped my exhaust and front bumber everywhere, and on rough roads forget about it. And that was with koni yellows too. But now im in the same boat as you, im interested in the CS-2's or FF type 1s

1999EM1

redexcoupe, your ride looks awesome! This was a 2.5" drop in the front and 2.3" in the rear right? I want something like this but don't want to smash the front lip or exhaust.

I wonder if 2" all around will be too low on coils?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
civexspeedy, thank you for taking the time to look through my post and explaining everything. Before I read your post, I was ready to buy some Function Form Type Is off ebay for $630 shipped but I noticed the same Function Forms at RoBear Racing for $600! :D

Now, it's a toss up between the Function Form Type 1s and Progress CS-2s. I want a 2 inch drop with a full kip kit. Advice?
The Progress coilovers will give you the 2" drop and more than likely be more comfortable than the F&F coilovers. A 2" drop will get ride of plenty of gap, almost all probably. But it'll also be high enough that you won't have to worry too much about ground clearance. If you plan on getting a front lip, I wouldn't go lower.. You also have to remember the lower you go, the stiffer the spring you would want and your ride quality suffers.

I personally would never buy or put any F&F product on any of my cars. Many people swear by them and have had luck with them, but I still question them. Progress has been around for a long time and has proven themselves time and time again along with some great customer service. It would be a no brainer to me to go with Progress but that's just me..

1999EM1

I'm ordering the Progress CS-IIs! I've been googling and reading around on Honda Tech, here and Civicforums and everybody says Progress is a great coilover set.

One last question: What camber kit do you recommend?

redexcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah that was what the advertised drop was, but I feel like it was a lot more then 2.5 in

What spring rates did you decide to get? I know they've got 350/250 or 350/350 and i think a 500/350 too right? What do you guys think would be the best for a DD and a weekend autoxer.

Sorry not to thread jack or anything lol

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm ordering the Progress CS-IIs! I've been googling and reading around on Honda Tech, here and Civicforums and everybody says Progress is a great coilover set.

One last question: What camber kit do you recommend?
With a 2" drop, you shouldn't need a camber kit. After all your suspension parts are installed and you have set the ride height just where you want it, get an alignment done. Regularly rotate your tires and you'll be fine.

Just remember, any significant change in ride height will mean you will have to have an alignment done over again. So, find the right height that you like and try to leave it that way after your alignment is done.

Yeah that was what the advertised drop was, but I feel like it was a lot more then 2.5 in

What spring rates did you decide to get? I know they've got 350/250 or 350/350 and i think a 500/350 too right? What do you guys think would be the best for a DD and a weekend autoxer.

Sorry not to thread jack or anything lol
350/250 would be a very nice ride for any street car. There really is no need to go stiffer than that for a decent drop and a fun street car. I love a stiff suspension setup, esp for racing, but driving many cars on different suspension setups, I've come to realize there just is no need to go crazy for a street driven car. You can still enjoy off ramps and back roads just as much, if not more...

350/350 would be a great setup for a beginner/occasional autox/road course car. Still comfortable on the street yet able to get more rotation(oversteer) for the turns.

350f/500r rates that Progress offers I would never suggest to any street car or autox/track car. If you aren't an experienced driver, it could potentially be a dangerous setup. Even more so if you have a large rear swaybar. I personally wouldn't run those rates on my car for autoxing or on a road course, let alone on a daily driver.