H22 verse the B-series motors

Godshands82

Ok, i have been out fo the tuner world for years!!! Yea, now i have jsut bought a 98 civic lx, and well i have been bite by the bug again, so....

I am asking you fellow honda heads, on yoru opinion about H22- to the B series motors... I have been thinging about getting a H22 block and building it, but if i can get the same performance out of a B-series engine, then Why build the H22...

Thinks that you should keep in mind this car is going to be a daily driver to work, and must maintain its gas sipping status.... Also i am an all motor guy, turbos are cool but I am not looking for super fast just quick enough that my sedan will keep some local racers at bay.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Don't street race...lol

B series is easier to swap and more options available. H22 has more power stock (~190-200hp) than most b series stock (~160-200hp for vtec models). So from a power stand point the H22 would be better for n/a, but I have seen b20/vtecs as high as 250hp n/a. Just research a ton and then decide. Its a honda, everything has been done before ;)

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Heard you can't have forged pistons without resleeving the H22.

vtecryda77

i have a h22a swap ek hatch and it blows b series motors out of the water, but also gets horrible gas mileage... you just have to go through the pros and cons of each motor... you will be driving the car so put what motor you would rather have in, just choose wisley

yellowbone12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For a basic street setup I will go with the bseries. A simple Lsv or b20v would do and still save on gas. I get 25-30 mpg with my B20v setup, no problem. Hit that vtec to many times and she will drink. Yes the H22 frm sleeves are weak but u still can put piston in it, just not forge piston.

Shinta

5+ Year Member
The most fun part of having the h22 is the torque. Also don't forget that the oil pan sits pretty low or at least it does on mine. The h series tranny also blows.