H22 vs B18 vs B16

never2old

Get off the phone & Drive
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
edhgreatone said:
haha this is so old... i am not even doing any of this... i'm getting a greddy turbo for my car and it will be faster then any of these swaps!
what happened to this "I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP MY STOCK ENGINE PLEASE NOBODY SAY TURBO IT"

My, how things change in a couple of months....

illicon2003

master pimp
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
edhgreatone said:
Ok it seems that everyone is against the h22..... what I was going to do originally was to swap the b16 and mod it to get it faster but then this guy told me about the b18 and it is way more torque then the b16 and you'll start off at 15 flat instead of 15.7 with the b16 and its only a couple hundred more..... so I did all the research like a did with the b16 and everything i would need... then this other guy told me those engines are slow compared to the h22... with the h22 in your car you'll be running 13.8 with nothing done to it.... well I knew this couldn't be that great of a swap because if it was everyone would be doing it the engine was so cheap...... but there ended up being all these problems you run into with this swap... so i'm back at zero again.... and i'm stuck on which engine to get.... my goal is to run low 13's on street tires and 12's with slick..... and most importantly I want a RELIABLE car.... i'd perfer to go N/A but if turbo or supercharger is a must i'll do that as long as it won't mess up my engine... please post your opinions on which engine will get me to low 13's the quickest, easiest, cheapest, and most RELIABLE <- most important... Thanks for all your help....

-I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP MY STOCK ENGINE PLEASE NOBODY SAY TURBO IT
well motor swaps aren't what I call "reliable". Just turbocharge it.

baby99si

N/A project has begun....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
illicon2003 said:
well motor swaps aren't what I call "reliable". Just turbocharge it.
Are you serious? Why would turboing be any more reliable then a swap? :roll:

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ thats what im thinking... thats the first time ive ever heard turbo and reliable in the same sentence, unless there saying "that turbo is a little more reliable" :lol:

copperfox

1337 h4x0r
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd say b18. It has more displacement than the b16 but it's not as heavy as the h22. The cheap route would be the LS motor, but if you have more money get the gsr motor (b18c1) or better yet the type-r motor (b18c5).

I believe those are 142, 170, and 195 hp respectively, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

p.s. I don't know the engine code for the LS motor...

importlegions

1 god, 1 life,1 choice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the ls is a good motor, b18b1-140-145 hp and is pretty quick in a hatch, i ight go with just that... i cant decide either

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4,000 for a b18c? you best chance is a 4,200 for a b18c1 from hmotors.com then 750 + for install. so your more or less around 5k, dont listen to anyone telling you less, they are etiher lying or gettin a very abused engine. You also might consider saving up for some internal work b4 the engine is put in. Take a look at exospeed.com, they do really good work, (though kinda of expensive). That way if you do end up boosting the engine you will have some comfort zone to work with rather then working with stock internals. Also remember, w/ any b-series engine most of your performance is coming from the head, so dont neglect the head just because it says vtec on it.

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
didnt see the last page of replys, dont get an ls motor. Especially dont do a vtec/ls unless you enjoy cone shaped pistons because thats all your going to get. I have a write up somewhere on this topic but the summary of it is that because the ls/vtec rod ratio is so high when the piston is pushed up its also pushed horizontally causing the piston to hit the cylinder wall. After a short time the piston becomes mis-shaped and causes alot of oil problems, loss of performance, and in the end a blown engine. Not exactly worth the money eh?

importlegions

1 god, 1 life,1 choice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive heard the same bout the ls vtec, thats why im going with a b18b turbo, and please dont act like you kno everything about this topic. mishaped pistons is not my goal, but 140 is decent base hp for like 1200 bucks. so i will gowith this motor.

importlegions

1 god, 1 life,1 choice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats wat im hopen, im actually gettin a kit together this weekend for a b series motor, and turbo'ing my sohc motor for practice and boredness with a couple of frends.

greg1174

98 EX Coupe
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
edhgreatone said:
does anybody know if a b16 can run 13's with out turbo or supercharger? would it be more money over to make a b16 run 13's or a b18???
There is a place here called "Velocity Trends", they claim to be building 11 sec. SOHC N/A engines.......that are safe enough for daily driving....regardless if it is true or not, I'd give them a call or visit their website...Here

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's a quote from velocity trends:

"Also Speed machines EF that runs high 11's with a SOHC! To the wheels there is 171HP w/ 114lbs. of torque and running consistant 11's. Why because they also run a fiberglass frt, doors, rear hatch and the rear straight axle."

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ $4000 for just the gsr motor is kinda pricy i saw some at www.sohfast.com that were like around $3,500 for the gsr... hopefully i can find a place that will do the install for less than a grand so i will have some money left over for rims and suspension.