H22EJ8 Rebuild (Blown motor, 56k no)

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
H22EJ8 Rebuild (FINALLY updated!)

So my webspace took a s**t. I'll be working on getting all of the pictures back up over the next few weeks.

Dec 23rd Edit

All pictures put in the first post, and index of pages with pictures started for organizational purposes

Pics on: Pg1 (start of rebuild), Pg2 (completed bay shave, paint matched), Pg3 (in progress bay shave/wire tuck), Pg5 (more new parts), Pg9 (motor back in, wiring half way done)

Well, as of Tuesday August 19 the car is down.

Mis shifted, 3rd-2nd instead of 3rd-4th while no-lift shifting off the rev limiter racing a friend. I know :thumbsup: to me right? haha...

Well, Wednesday me and a buddy pulled the head in about 1.5 hours, all 8 of my exhaust valves floated and smacked the pistons. (dont have pics of that process, spaced it, sorry folks.) And let it be known, H head studs are a f**king b***h. 3ft breaker bar on 1/2" 12" long ratchet (so damn near 4ft of leverage total) and i was still having to put a s**t load of weight behind it).

So I then decided, f**k it... I've always been talking about wanting to rebuild it, so I'm going to.

H swaps dont fit through the frame rails :gr_grin:

H22? nawwww..... 1 nate powa!!!

So at this point, me and my buddy have put in roughly 3 hours on pulling the head/block/tranny.

So now its friday night, and we've got more work to do. Put in about another 2 hours just cleaning s**t up in the bay, heres pics taken this morning (8/23/08)

I still have more cleaning up to do (getting s**t out of the bay), I'm going to be re-doing the bay harness, and wire-tucking it, also going to shave alot of the s**t in the bay, and paint-match it.

I'll keep all you guys updated as time goes on.

SHAVED BAY PICS, IN PROGRESS
Heres a few In Progress pics of the engine bay, and then the beginnings of the wire tuck (which included removing the heater core, srs system, and everything not needed under the dash)

BAY FINISHED/PAINT MATCHED
Well guys, sorry for the LONG delay. I've kinda fallen out of the honda scene/life for awhile, and just kinda work on it here and there... having a hard time keeping motivation.

I have in progress pics somewhere on my comp, but here are the finished pics of the bay. I didnt want to go TOO over the top (so all the holes that remain are going to get honda OE grommets to fill them, as i still want some accent to it.

The H turbo build is on the back-burner for a cheaper, yet still fun and quick build. Details on that a little later.

Here are a few pics (finally returned home, still need to clean up the bay, and finish organizing s**t for wire tuck, etc. etc. Im not going ALL OUT, i still want to resemble the OEM look, just simplified and super clean.

Ignore the rubbing compound splattered all over the bay, i had a few small areas where i wasnt happy with the clear, so i did some wet sanding and polishing.

Onto the pics:

Going to be doing some work with it tomorrow... putting the front clip back on, and removing the subframe/front suspension for media blasting and a fresh coat of paint.

11/26/08 update

Well last night i started putting the front clip back together, i'll get the rest of it on tonight i think. The parts are a little more safe from damage in my garage, on the car, than in my basement with cats/dogs, etc.

Heres the only pic i have of that:

HID Retro in my headlights from a GMC Acadia, i scored the pair from my work for free, produced by Valaeo and retail through gm for $1800 for the pair. I'm very happy with them.

A friend of mine then stopped by, and we got the itch to start stripping the block down for the parts washer/hot tank. So we loaded it up in my truck, and set off to the shop he works at to start tearing it apart. After it was completely disassembled, it went into the hot tank for nearly an hour, and its STILL not 100% clean. The block was disgusting... there was an easy 2" of axle grease/oil buildup on the back of the block.

Anyways, here are the pics of the block, i still have some manual scrubbing to do.

12/23/08 UPDATE
Well i've been collecting a few more parts... got my valve cover half done (still more to do to it, but this is just the base coat, and first clear), new header came, and i have some misc. parts I've been collecting. Ended up using the h23 block, and putting new rings/bearings in it. Just need to get a water pump, oil pump, and timing belt tensioner then the motor itself will be done.

heres a few pictures:

Valve cover (OEM/JDM Honda Color, not DAP)

Valve cover/header:

Misc parts collected:

Page 11
July 16th, end of motor #2

Pics:
Whats left of the rod/sleeve (surprisingly, the sleeve isnt cracked/broke)

Shards of valves, ringlands, rings, piston, rod, etc. etc. in cyl 1-3

What came out of the intake manifold

Whats left of the head (cyl 4)

Overall shot of the head, note the other bent ass valves, chunks of rings, pistons, etc.

final verdict on the problem
h22 type s pistons = full floating
h23 rods = press fit

pistons were not installed properly on the rods, wrist pin had play, caused the bottom of the piston to crack and let go @ 7000ishrpm.

Rod/piston went up, rod came down, piston kept going up.

Most Recent Update
Bought a block/head off of Brent L @ PFI Speed here in Colorado.
Had Dustin @ Performance Porting (also local) build the head.

Specs as followed:
H23a1 90mm stroke block
F22 95mm stroke crank
GRP H23 rods
ARP rod bolts
Arias 88mm Pistons (.5mm overbore) 11.8:1
Block decked .0020

Full race Port & Polished head
Head milled .0025
Supertech Dual springs
Supertech Retainers
Supertech Bronze valve guides
5angle valve job
B series Lost Motion Assemblies
Crower 3 cams
Skunk 2 cam gears

total compression approx - 13.1-13.5 :1

Motor externals:
Custom "double stack" h22 manifold (ported and polished)
76mm TB
Erick Racing side exit header
4" Intake (going to a 3" with a velocity stack)
-12AN crank case breathers
Moroso exhaust crank case pressure evac system

226whp
156wtq
85* @ 4900ft above sea level

Car needs more tuning, and a few changes. Will likely see 235-240 as it sits. Skunk 2 pro 2's are in the works and will be shooting for 255-260.

If the car doesnt make 255 on pro 2's the head will get pulled, quenches welded up, and milled another .0010 to bump compression up more.

Pics of current engine bay, and dyno sheet to come.

Track passes on page 14
also linked here:
Heres a video a guy i know put together.

2 of my runs are @ 2:00 and 5:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNBp8H8eX0

again, i still need more seat time, and we gotta do some tweaking on the tune.

and a pic at the track:

rey_boricua

2000 EM1 B16A2T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dam that suck GL on the build

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Boosted H22 swapped EJ FTMFW!

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
f**king right doggy

so heavy in the trunk, make the car pop a wheelie lol

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
new way to raise a car :thumbup:
good luck on the build
nice retrofit

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
new way to raise a car :thumbup:
good luck on the build
nice retrofit
Thanks, ya i just got the retrofit done and new wheels on about a week before this happened, hadnt even had a chance to shoot the car with the new additions :(

The retro is just a Valeo setup out of an '08 GMC Acadia, pretty bright though, and a nice clean cutoff line, i like them.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good, ive been wanting to see you do this for awhile!

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sell ya my turbo... SC-61 with antisurge front housing. PM me if you like.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Finished cleaning up s**t out of the engine bay, and laid the harness back out, got a good start on extending the harness for a wire tuck.

Pics up tomorrow.

sicEKcoupe

5+ Year Member
so your running the spec2? what did you pick it up for? cause the only body styles ive seen it listed for the ek is 4dr and hatch? Guy told me that the 4dr and the 2dr are the same? the only reason i havent bought it yet is cause im not sure on this. wanna help me out?lol oh yeah btw i love the car. the color is pimp.

vid_man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like is gonna be a good build... good luck bro i'll be checkin the progress