Halo On/Off Switch Help

stoney13

5+ Year Member
I installed a toggle switch for my halo projector headlights, but it just turnes the lights on and off. I want the lights to turn on and off, but only the blue halo rings.

On the headlights there are two red wires that come out that had to be hooked up to the parking lights for the halos to work in the first place so I decided to try and wire the switch into that, but it just turns all the ligths on and off.

The wire I spliced on both sets of headlights was the one going to the parking lights and not the one going to the ground. I did try the ground one on one of the lights, but that blew the fuse I hooked up to the battery so I'm either assuming that the fuse isnt big enough or that it blew b/c it was going to a ground and not a 12v ACC. I'm gonna go with that it blew cause it was hooked to another ground and not a 12v acc.

So if anyone has ever done this and knows which wire to attach the splice to on each headlight that would be great.

Oh and I just got bored and wanted to do this, theres no other reason for it. I just want to be able to just turn on the halos if its possible cause I saw on another website that someone had an on/off switch for their halos.

I have pics, but they arent really necessary right now unless u guys want me to post them.

Rocket350

5+ Year Member
The two wires the you have hooked up to your running lights are the ones you use. Leave the red one tapped in to them just twist the red wire in with the hot side of the running lights (cut the hot side twist the wire from the halos with the two ends you cut.) make sure you aren't on the ground side of the running lights. Disconnect the black from them completly and make sure you reconnect the original wires Run the black wire straight to the switch then from the switch run a wire to a ground on the car ( any bolt where contact can be made to the metal of the body) this with enable you to switch them on and off. But only when the running lights are turned on.

Rocket350

5+ Year Member
Or if you wanted to control them without the running lights on disconnect both the red and black wire that you had connected to the running lights. Connect the red to the switch then from the switch to a hot wire that is switched on and off with the keys. Then just connect the black straight to ground.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Or if you wanted to control them without the running lights on disconnect both the red and black wire that you had connected to the running lights. Connect the red to the switch then from the switch to a hot wire that is switched on and off with the keys. Then just connect the black straight to ground.
the ignition wire for your radio works good for that.

stoney13

5+ Year Member
Ok so what I do is take both red wires from both lights and unsplice them from the parking lights. Then I connect one red wire to the switch (this will be the hot wire, correct?) I made and the other to another ground in the engine bay. You are correct when you say that I would have to leave the switch on if I want to turn the halos on at night with my regular lights. Is there any way I could have the halos also turn on when the lights are turned on at night without flipping the switch or is it just one or the other kind of thing.

Im a little confused as to what you were telling me about how to hook the swith up correctly. It sounds a lot like what I did already, but if you could explain it better then I would have a better idea of what I need to do

stoney13

5+ Year Member
Okay so I am going to take disconnect the wires from the running lights. Then im gonna run the red wire just to the switch and im gonna run the other red to a ground. So that will turn the halos on and off when I want.

Okay also so what you guys are saying it if i splice a wire to run to the ignition wire on my headunit, then that will allow the halos to come on when my running lights come on?

stoney13

5+ Year Member
Alright so the switch works now, but I still want to be able to turn the halos on when the lights are running without hitting the switch. I tried running a wire from the switch wire to my ignition wire on my headunit, but that just turned on the headunit too when I hit the switch.

Should I run the wire to my running lights switch in the car. Cause then that would flip the halos on when the lights are turned on. But which wire would I splice b/c I dont have a car manual to look that up in.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its going to be one or the other. on with the running lights or on with the switch. cant have both. you really seem to have no idea what your doing when it comes to wiring. no offense but you need to do more research. also you should pic up a haynes manual.

stoney13

5+ Year Member
Okay so I figured it out and now I can have my cake and eat it to.

I ran a wire to the actual light switch in the car from the halo switch and the halos turn on when I flipped the running lights on. And the lights dont come on when I flipped the switch for the halos only. So everything I wanted to work, works.

If you want me to post pics and what wires to splice I can.

Also i know what I was doing I just wanted both to work. Im actually really awesome at car wiring from me wiring me figuring out how to wire my custom system im gonna install.

Rocket350

5+ Year Member
i think i might know what you are doing to make your radio shut off. how are you hooking the hots? maybe this picture will help this is just for the hots the ground you can just straight connect to the body. the s in the box is the switch. just twist the 3 wires together.