Handgun...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im going to finally get around to getting a handgun.. i dont want to spend more than $600.. also my wife will shoot this gun.. ive done some shopping and i THINK im looking at a Glock 9mm but am interested in the feedback of people who know WTF they are talking about.. what im NOT interested in is "Yo GEtZ Dat DEZerT EaGle DaT SHiTz HoT YO!"

the reasons im looking at a Glock are 1) available accessories 2) price point 3) i like the safety system 4)it has been recomended by a few people involved in law enforcement im friends with

thanks for the input..

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
post a pic thread when you get it...i love guns.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Astheros said:
post a pic thread when you get it...i love guns.
I think we found our next bang bang shoot up em in a public place guy.

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Glocks I've heard are a nice personal solution.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly, I'd check with Max

BTW- how is NJ on carry permits? I heard that its hard to get one.

trace01m

E thug.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The glock is a good gun. They are easy to use, lightweight, and 9mm ammunition has come a ver long way in the past 10 years, so it's not as weak as some might say. The kick is strong, but shouldn't be too much for your wife, unless she has wrist problems.

Glocks are better than a lot of other guns in the same price range because of their ability to not jam when they get dirty or wet. What this means to you is if you drop the gun while facing your assailant, you will still be able to use it without worry, but it should be cleaned once the investigation of the shooting is over!

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
253eg said:
i personally like the HK USP.
hk may be a better gun but it also carries a much larger price tag...

thanks for all the feedback... its appreciated..

100Percen%

The Random One
5+ Year Member
trace01m said:
The glock is a good gun. They are easy to use, lightweight, and 9mm ammunition has come a ver long way in the past 10 years, so it's not as weak as some might say. The kick is strong, but shouldn't be too much for your wife, unless she has wrist problems.

Glocks are better than a lot of other guns in the same price range because of their ability to not jam when they get dirty or wet. What this means to you is if you drop the gun while facing your assailant, you will still be able to use it without worry, but it should be cleaned once the investigation of the shooting is over!
my Glock 17 with extended 33round magazine:
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4053/photo0001yr7.jpg

When I was looking around and talked to the guy at the gun range I bought it from he told me, "Glock is the only thing I would trust with my life." The fact that it's standard issue for most police departments is a pretty good testament in my book. And with the plethora of available models and sizes it's easy to find one that fits you. And it's quick and easy to break apart and clean (after you've fired it a million times and finally need to). I suggest going to a range and firing the different 9mm models with your wife to see how well they fit your hands. The only thing I don't like about the Glock is the trigger safety system. If something pulls on the trigger it's more than likely gonna pull the trigger safety along with it. True enough no one should be so careless with a gun that the trigger could be accidentally pulled by a foreign object, but I'd rather have more. But to compensate for such a small issue I just dry-fire most of the time before I load a clip to keep the trigger pulled in and unable to fire until it's cocked. Compared to the larger factor of the sheer reliability of Glocks the safety system is an easy oversight.

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only thing I don't like about the Glock is the trigger safety system.
:word: I hate that damn system. Only real fault I have with mine. External safeties are ftw.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ruger Mark 1 .22LR

Why?

It's a nice weapon to familiarize with, reliable, and .22 ammo is dirt cheap. That means a lot of time at the range to improve your skill.

Then you can graduate to a Glock, Sig, etc...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Ruger Mark 1 .22LR

Why?

It's a nice weapon to familiarize with, reliable, and .22 ammo is dirt cheap. That means a lot of time at the range to improve your skill.

Then you can graduate to a Glock, Sig, etc...
to clarify a little.. ive grown up around guns my whole life and am fairly familiar with them in regards to shooting, safety, cleaning management, etc.. this would be my first personally owned handgun... i will probably pick up a 22 down the road also for shooting OR maybe look into some kind of conversion like this.. http://www.advantagearms.com/conversion_kit.html i appreciate the input but i want something with a little more power than a 22 since this weapon will be my primary home defense weapon...

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh, okay.

It's still a nice weapon. But if you are well acclimated to shooting, safety, and maintenance then you'll do well with a larger caliber

but as far as a .22's ability?

Tex Watson and Sirhan Sirhan can attest to the lethal ability

Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP with left side magazine release is a nice firearm too

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what is the main use of the gun? protection? if so, i wouldnt get a 9. a 9mm wont knock someone down, you can definitely keep moving/charging after a couple rounds. if you want something with a little more knockdown power, get a .40

Jmoto911

Built, not bought.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im tellin ya man... Glock .40 is the way to be... and its women friendly because my mom is 5'2" and she uses it on the police force... and it and the .45 Glock have some of the best killing power of any compact handgun.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
im going to finally get around to getting a handgun.. i dont want to spend more than $600.. also my wife will shoot this gun.. ive done some shopping and i THINK im looking at a Glock 9mm but am interested in the feedback of people who know WTF they are talking about.. what im NOT interested in is "Yo GEtZ Dat DEZerT EaGle DaT SHiTz HoT YO!"

the reasons im looking at a Glock are 1) available accessories 2) price point 3) i like the safety system 4)it has been recomended by a few people involved in law enforcement im friends with

thanks for the input..

Glocks will ALWAYS fire. You can bury it for a year, dig it up and it will still fire.

However, they aren't the most accurate 9mm out there, so if you're looking to do any target shooting it's not your best bet. Solid gun for self protection, cheap and plentiful.

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Noooooo don't do the Glock. And def not the nine.

First of all, the safe action trigger isn't all that safe. Any pistol that is to be used for sd/personal protection should be carried condition one, or "cocked and locked" if you prefer. All that stops the Glock from being fired is that little trigger piece being pulled with the trigger. There are too many stories of LEO's getting out of their car and their jackets pulling the "safe action" trigger....

Second... Glocks do not have a fully supported chamber. A term has been coined in the gun community that is pretty self explanatory---"Glock kaboom," where the casing ruptures at the place where it's unsupported. It's rare, but happens. Why take the chance in a tool that has to work perfectly...every time.

Third... Grip angle. On Glocks, grip angle is angled down from a more traditional grip such as say 1911 style. Your knuckles actually point more downward and a great number of shooters find it not as natural. And when you are quick drawing and must instantly find your POA it should be where you point, not where you aim.

Fourth... Ughhhh 9mm.
---Power
A 9mm might be okkk with a +P TAP/HydraShock type cartridge, but in a SD type situation, you want something that has the greatest chance of incapacitating the perp in the fewest rounds possible. You can get fairly small .40's.... and .45's for that matter. The only thing 9mm has going for it is mag capacity. But if you need more than 5-7 rounds to down someone, or a few someones you shouldn't have a gun in the first place.

Now for recommendations.

Obviously if price weren't an issue, and I needed a purely offensive sidearm, it would be a service size USP or a Sig 226 in .45ACP, but I don't have $1000 nor a use for such a weapon right now as I'm sure you don't.

Under $600 you say? Safe you say? Light you say?

Springfield XD is you answer.

Comes in 9mm(booo), .40S&W, .45ACP, and other less popular chamberings as well. It's polymer framed. It has a 1911 style grip angle. It has a fully supported chamber. It costs on average $100 less than a comparable Glock. It has survived publicized torture tests. It has an integral light rail and ambidextrous mag release. And it feels better and fits my hand better than any other .45 I've ever put my hands on. XD's come in the 3"barreled sub-compact, the 4" barreled service model, and the 5" barreled tactical model. The .45ACP XD comes in service, tactical and the new .45ACP compact which has a 4"service barrel but has a shortened grip and 10rd magazine and an extended 14rd mag. The. .40S&W subcompact is very concealable. I (in 1 month) am going to conceal carry my .45 compact. which is very do-able, even in .45ACP.

Springfield Armory XD safety features--It has a trigger safety like the glock but is more comfortable as it's angle is more flush with the trigger. It also has a grip saftey which must be fully depressed in order to pull the trigger and/or for the weapon to fire. Also, it has both a loaded chamber indicator and cocked indicator that can both be felt as well as seen from firing position. It's almost impossible to fire the weapon accidentally without one's hands gripping it properly, but can still be carried "condition one."

If that however, is still too big or if your looking for a small "purse/pocket gun," look into the Keltec P-3AT. It is VERY small. I think it even comes with a "pocket clip" similar to a pocket knife clip. It's chambered in .380 auto which is a small round, but if you're really trying to go concealed..... If you used Hornady TAP/Federal HydraShock cartridges, if would more than likely get the job done in an emergency. This is more of a I'm being rapped-point-blank-range-fire-the-entire-magazine-into-the-guy type weapon. I'll probably pick up one of these for a CCW for those HOT New Orleans summer days.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If we are really worried about reliability, we should be talking about revolvers

What's the misfire procedure on a wheel gun?

Pull the f**king trigger again.

and if a .38 Special +P doesn't have enough hit power for you a .357 Magnum should. Or a .44 Magnum. Or a .454 Casull, .480 Remington...etc...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i appreciate the detailed responses that i am recieving.... but i have to tell you one thing i just dont agree with.. granted a larger caliber gun has more stopping power.. of course.. but in a home defense situation we are talking a 10+ round magazine at 10 feet or less... if you cant put enough rounds from a 9mm to put someone to the floor with that kind of situation i dont think that there is much hope for you...

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
I think we found our next bang bang shoot up em in a public place guy.
ah.....yeah.....not funny. :evil: