happened with me , so dont let it happen to you

sr90civic

5+ Year Member
well this didnt just happen but it brought a reminder to me that with all honda engines when a timing belt breaks usually u do damage to your valve train , i got lucky , i took mine to a shop close to my house and had them take a look at it hopeing no valve train damage was done . they told me i bvent my valves and it would cost me 1400 $ to fix , i was worried so i parked my car and drove around in my accord for a while looking around for advice on how to actually find out , i shopped around and shopped around and found out theres about a 99 % chance that u will damage your valve train when a belt breaks , so thinking this i figured they were right till i talked to my mechanic that i usually go to , he tells me to bring it in and try just changing the belt so i said hey what the hell may as well try , he lives just down the road from me so i just pushed it over there , end of the day he calls me and tell me that it runs fine and the timing is great , my point of the story is these 2 things ,
1. when soemthing goes wrong with your car shop around to find out answers , some may be different then others and go with who ever u trust the most

2. be careful of when you break your timing belt that you dont try and turn the engine over too much otr else you may really damage your valves

hope this is a little bit useful hahaha

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
IMO you shouls still check you valvs and s**t out. if you did bend one or more, and your now running around on bent valves you might be doing more that $1400 worth of damage in the long run. but hey :what:

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good advice.... but....wrong section...moved

D Grade

NOT Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Goes to show how preventative maintainance should always be followed first and foremost. ;)

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, next timing belt i get is a super strong one fo rthe ZC enigne, its like $150 i think

ventturei26

Capt. Fuse
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the timing belt on my firned 86 prelude broke while we were driving around repairs for engine ended up being twice as expensive asthen engine lol. and pretty much d series motors are a dime a dozen.

ventturei26

Capt. Fuse
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
try either finding some taht are used and u know work good or how bout nopi.com

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i always do that, but i end up doin the work myself its alot cheaper that way.. another thing your forgot is find someone that is as Honest as him

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
seems like u didnt do your regular maintenance .. run through your honda hand book and see what else you have to replace before something else happens.

AqueousFila

Keeping it Tru'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha my engine ran out of oil and then hit vtec and i was going about 80 on the highway and then i heard grindin. Most shops said they would swap the engine for a newer one for about 1.2k or rebuild it for a little bit cheaper. I ended up selling it and getting the hatch tho.